Sign in to follow this  
Little Creek Calls

Prickly pear picking

Guest oneshot

Very nice Little Creek Calls... I'll be making a few qt's of PP moonshine next weekend on a stove-top still, Tunas distilled twice, flavoured with reserved PP juice...

Makes the house smell sooo goood...

I read your post a while back where you included your recipe. Any recommendations on a still?

There are many stills for sale on eBay, the stove-top models are nice for doing small batches quickly, I'm going to be getting a 1gal. "french pot-still" soon(also works for doing herbs/oils)...(as long as you are not selling/or making a more then 50?? gallons a year you will be legal)...

The gallons per year I thought was for wine. Your not allowed to make shine legally at all unless you pay huge fees etc. to be a distillery.

That being said a 20' roll of 3/8 refrigerant coil, a 5 gal. Bucket with a hole and a grommet at the bottom for the coil works great. For that the 30 qt pressure cooker from Walmart works great. Pop the the rubber grommet of the lid and the copper tube fits perfect. Pop out the weight and put in a metal thermometer and seal it up. With this set up you can make mash in 5 gallon buckets. 4" cracked corn, 5 lbs sugar and hot water to the top and throw in the yeast. You end up with about three gallons of liquid for the still which usually is good for three combined jars of old fashioned punch your brother in the eye juice.

• Like 1

The gallons per year I thought was for wine. Your not allowed to make shine legally at all unless you pay huge fees etc. to be a distillery.

That being said a 20' roll of 3/8 refrigerant coil, a 5 gal. Bucket with a hole and a grommet at the bottom for the coil works great. For that the 30 qt pressure cooker from Walmart works great. Pop the the rubber grommet of the lid and the copper tube fits perfect. Pop out the weight and put in a metal thermometer and seal it up. With this set up you can make mash in 5 gallon buckets. 4" cracked corn, 5 lbs sugar and hot water to the top and throw in the yeast. You end up with about three gallons of liquid for the still which usually is good for three combined jars of old fashioned punch your brother in the eye juice.

you dont say

you dont say

Bona'Fide Hill Billy Rocket Engineari'n Rite Dare

• Like 1

sssshhhhhh!!! Lol!! I just love the smell of the mash, smells like the freshest beer in the world. I like to char some local oak and let it sit for a few weeks before straining and enjoying. Doing enough to age in a used oak barel would be awesome but I don't have that dedication.

you dont say

Bona'Fide Hill Billy Rocket Engineari'n Rite Dare

Maybe so. But $60 is a lot cheaper then $500-600 for some fancy eBay thing that will give me the same results. Well not me but other people who I have seen do this. Me personally, I'd never short change uncle Sam.

• Like 1