Sign in to follow this  
Little Creek Calls

Prickly pear picking

Took my boys out over the weekend on our way home from fishing to pick some prickly pear to make some jelly and lemonade. Had a great time and love the taste. If any one wants to go pick them there are quite a few ripe and ready. My son came up with the idea to sell jars of the jam to help pay for his tickets into Disneyland on an upcoming vacation. We have three flavors, peach prickly pear (peaches are fresh picked from my parents tree in Snowflake), prickly pear pineapple, and prickly pear. If anyone is interested in buying some jam from my boys let me know.

post-5325-0-07889600-1503587140_thumb.jpg

post-5325-0-42829200-1503587167_thumb.jpg

post-5325-0-87539600-1503587203_thumb.jpg

post-5325-0-31415300-1503587298_thumb.jpg

post-5325-0-96346200-1503587334_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

It is that time of year....Cole's birthday is August 26 and that is our marker for pear picking time!!! Great you got the kids out there picking pears.....always a good time!!!

We have one pantry shelf completely dedicated to prickly pear jelly....have never tried the combo's and wouldn't mind trying the peach prickly pear......how much and how can I catch up with you???

We collect them for the Mojave desert tortoises we're working on a recovery project with. Its fun to be back in the desert once in a while and I love prickly pear jelly and, especially lemonade!

Word of advice, though. Keep using the bucket for transportation! About 16 or so years ago, a good buddy of mine stopped to pick some fruit with his now ex-wife on their way to a camping trip. For whatever reason, he decided to put the fruits in his lap and didn't get all of the glochids out of the fruits. I'll let you figure out his level of discomfort!

On a serious note, the way we have processed them is pressure cooker to cook out the juices. Throw them in prickly and all and then just collect the juice!

Can't remember the exact ingredients we us but if LCC is making peach prickly pear jelly he probably has a more scientific method.

It is great to have in the cupboard.......good stuff!!!

I helpful thing I learned is to use long metal tongs to pick them instead of gloves. Any type of glove will pretty much have to be thrown away afterwards(any I have used anyway).

• Like 1

I read Amanda's post (the one in the link above) a few years ago and use her method with the juicer. Its easy with not to much prep. Only real pain is filtering the juice that comes out of the juicer and even that is not that bad.

Guest oneshot

Very nice Little Creek Calls... I'll be making a few qt's of PP moonshine next weekend on a stove-top still, Tunas distilled twice, flavoured with reserved PP juice...

Makes the house smell sooo goood...

Very nice Little Creek Calls... I'll be making a few qt's of PP moonshine next weekend on a stove-top still, Tunas distilled twice, flavoured with reserved PP juice...

I read your post a while back where you included your recipe. Any recommendations on a still?

Any ignorant souls wonder aloud about your lust for pp juice?
  • Like 1