Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Hunting brain farts

The night before opening day of quail in 1999, I staged my shotgun, shells & jacket in the garage next to my 30-06. Both guns were in a dark green canvas case. We get up before light and head out to 36A (off of Sasabe Hwy). We park and start unloading, birds are clucking, sun just popped up, going to be a great day. I grab my gun case and pull out my 06, if you can picture the scene when Ralphie drops all the lug nuts in the movie A Christmas Story, well the mother of all dirty words was said. Needles to say, we pack up and drive back home only to hunt birds on the backside of Mt Lemmon.

• Like 3

Last summer I went shed hunting in 9. Knew I'd be hiking some miles so I borrowed my gf's late granddad's .38 revolver

Got into the habit of visiting the same tree for morning nature calls and hanging the pistol on a limb.

Long story short, once home I go thru my bags and can't find the pistol. After a couple days I mustered the nerve to ask the ol lady if she had gone through my bags and put the gun somewhere?

Next day I'm headed back to 9

After an hour search, found where the pistol fell from the limb and into a bush.

• Like 1

The night before opening day of quail in 1999, I staged my shotgun, shells & jacket in the garage next to my 30-06. Both guns were in a dark green canvas case. We get up before light and head out to 36A (off of Sasabe Hwy). We park and start unloading, birds are clucking, sun just popped up, going to be a great day. I grab my gun case and pull out my 06, if you can picture the scene when Ralphie drops all the lug nuts in the movie A Christmas Story, well the mother of all dirty words was said. Needles to say, we pack up and drive back home only to hunt birds on the backside of Mt Lemmon.

Word has it my BIL did the same thing during deer season a few years ago in NY. Same case and when he got upstate be pulled out the shotgun.

A good friend shot a coues buck one year only to discover he had forgot his knife.

So he grabbed the 7mm shell he shot it with and crushed it flat with two big stones then proceeded to sharpen it with same.

Said it got the job done but now carries extra knives.

• Like 1

Years ago while helping a friend, he discovered he forgot his knife after the deer was down. We gutted it with the truck key.

• Like 1