Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Late Bull Bring It On

Been waiting for this week seems like forever. Gonna do some last minute scouting Wednesday and Turkey day, have some ham and turkey and then go find a Bull for my boy to knock down. Hopefully we can take care of that early opening morning.

After that, I am taking my mule out into the thickest mess of cedars in search for the Big Boy that has been haunting the area.

Some pretty impressive bulls already posted on this thread, hope I get the bad boy that I am after.........to the hunting gods, all I ask for is one shot.............Amen

Been waiting for this week seems like forever. Gonna do some last minute scouting Wednesday and Turkey day, have some ham and turkey and then go find a Bull for my boy to knock down. Hopefully we can take care of that early opening morning.

After that, I am taking my mule out into the thickest mess of cedars in search for the Big Boy that has been haunting the area.

Some pretty impressive bulls already posted on this thread, hope I get the bad boy that I am after.........to the hunting gods, all I ask for is one shot.............Amen

Let me know how it goes cause I will be there right after you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Good luck!!!

Heading out to 3a/3c to guide my friend on his bull hunt, then heading over to 8 to help out there after we tag out. Good luck and get some big ones!

OK, I'll try to keep this short........but probably not.

Opening morning finally arrived, we knew it was going to be tough because the spot we chose always has lots of hunters, but we thought we had done our homework and we were ready for the challenge.

Before shooting light, we have already spotted 6 hunters on foot, and 4 vehicles driving through the area below us, but we were patient and finally as the sun came up, we found our bulls headed up a ridge about a mile and a half away. We hop in our rig, jump off the ridge we are on and head over as fast as we can on a two tracker. We get to where we need to be, get out of the truck, just as another truck pulls up. They ask us if we had seen any bulls, and like the honest idiots we are we said yes, and that we were getting ready to put a slow stalk on the ridge below. We say our good byes and start down the ridge...which is a very lazy, slow sloping, not much of a ridge at all, and that SOB drove straight down the ridge, off road, cross country, right there in front of us, right where we had told them we were going.

We did not see the bulls again, and our only hope is that we actually saw G&F stop the guy....hopefully he got a big bad fine.

Anyway, we of course are pissed off, I realize that this is no longer an elk hunt, but this is WAR.

We head off to some thick cedar, I put my two boys up on a good glassing area, and I park about two miles away and start following fresh sign up through the thick cedars, hoping to kick something up that my boys can glass up and get a shot at. I am walking slow, have the wind in my face, lots of good sign, it is probably 11:30 in the morning, I am just happy to be off work and out in the woods when all of the sudden about 200 yards away I see bulls. Three bulls headed in the opposite direction that I was headed, and they are just mosing along....

At this point, you must know that I had plans of hunting all week, looking for the bull of a lifetime.....but my bull fever took over. After watching the circus earlier that morning and knowing that my son still had a tag to fill, I took off to get myself in position to take a shot at one of those bulls.

I get the angle, keep the wind in my favor and sure enough, there they are, and in less than......well........a split second I had already pumped a 150gr. .270 round in to one of those bad boys(I thought). He was probably 70 yards away at the most, and he took off over the little ridge he was standing on.(surely I hadn't missed???)

I ran up the hill, found serious stumble prints in the dirt, then blood, so I decided to actually look up and.......there he was

post-2034-1196829961_thumb.jpg

The shot had hit him right behind the front left shoulder and exited out the other side right behind his right shoulder. Sorry about the blood, but this guy was bled out by the time I got to him.

I radioed my boys and they came to my rescue. Obviously not the monster bull of my dreams, but it felt good to have one down…..now all we had left to do was get Wyatt a shot at a bull. Part 2 coming up…..

post-2034-1196830135_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I can't get the pics to come up right..........they are bloody anyways....he is a 5X5, nothing special but one heck of a fun time with the boys out hunting.

Part 2.....it had turned pretty cold by the time we got my bull dressed out so we decided to check out another spot we had scouted out before the sun went down. We bumped into a bull right off the bat and got Wyatt a shot.....3 shots to be exact......he wasn't even close...couldn't get the bull to run.....Wyatt had a serious case of the wobbles. My older boy had built him a shooting stick earlier in the week but we had left it back in the truck. Wyatt needs a shooting stick if you know what I mean.

We went home very happy, we had one bull hanging and Wyatt had had an opportunity......

Second day, colder that hail.......wind blowing, I took Wyatt to a spot where I had seen bulls, got him set up to watch a heavily traveled trail. I am sitting there glassing freezing my kester off and look over at Wyatt....he isn't even paying atttention so I told him he was on his own....and I went back to the truck to get warm. I waited about 20 minutes and sent my older boy out to take his turn in the cold.....next thing I know I get a call on the radio.....Wyatt has spotted some elk and there is a rag horn in the group.......

I get out of the truck, I have my 10 year old tagging along this time.......the two older boys have already started getting in position to intercept the elk. I find them in my glasses and we get them within 200 yards of about12 cows and the single raghorn....the cows gather around the bull and Wyatt can't get a shot. So we sit and wait.....and wait......and wait....freezing my hands off trying to keep them glassed up.....finally they start to file out and Wyatt gets a walking away shot....misses bad.....forgot the shooting stick again.....dang it he needs that shooting stick.....

We run home to pick up mom, go down to another spot we had heard about but not looked at yet. We went walking (I took the shooting stick) through some of the burn area…which by the way is not an easy thing to do…..tons of downed trees. We saw a lot of sign, the sun is headed down and we decide to head in…..and behold…a gift is given to us….two spikes at the top of a ridge….200 yards….broad side….we get Wyatt set up with the shooting stick…..shoots……nothing……shoots again the spike buckles but is still standing……..his brother tells him to put another one in him….he shoots again as the bull starts to turn……..we watch him go over the other ridge.

We all go hauling up the hill except mom, she doesn’t want to see blood….50 yards over the edge…bull down….3 bullet holes…7Mag…we get to do the dirty work by flashlight…..

post-2034-1196830357_thumb.jpg

Waited months for this hunt…..didn’t get the monster that we had dreamed about, but the experience was priceless………………..and Wyatt dropped his first bull and that was what was really important in the long run…..

Congrats on a great hunt! I'm sure the memories and experience of that hunt won't be forgotten! JIM>

I don't know where you hunting

But if anyone knows someone with a Tag in the central part of the state

they are having a tough time of it this morning.It has been drizzleing all morning

and visability is about 100 yrds because of the fog.

I headed out this mornng to my glassing spot and some SLOB

was parked right in the middle of the road :angry:

Thats ok since you couldn't glass anyway.

On my way back thru I saw him driving up the road.

There is a good chance he is still trying to get his truck back on the road.

It's one of those hills that turn real slick with just a little rain.

I have a hard time on my Polaris 4X4 when its wet.

Since it was raining and you could not glass I went for a ride to see who was where.

What I saw was a lot of people sitting in or standing around their trucks

waiting for the weather to break.

It still hasn't, I can just see the house across the street.

The forcast has us under a flash flood watch untill Sunday afternoon.

Think I'll just kick back and wait till Sunday and let the weekenders go home.

Good Luck to everyone

Mike

Oh Ya!

Congrates on your Bull Redneck

Hope you can get one for the boy now

Sounds like you did a bit better on the elk hunt then on the 36b hunt!!!Congrats to you and yours on a successful and safe hunt!!!!!Did you draw any spring tags?

3A3C is where we were hunting and I could probably get somebody in the right area if they still needed some help.

I would have been really bummed if I did as bad here in my back yard as I did in 36B......I have some pics but I think they are to big to post here.....can't get them to load up.

I put in for extra javelina tags for my boys. waiting to hear on those....I can't ever get my crap together to get put in for spring. I retired from coaching wrestling so I am thinking about getting a rez permit to hunt coyotes this year........funnest hunting there is IMO........