Sign in to follow this  
azslim

Help w/Load Data .264wm w/ Hornady ELD-X 143

Have a new rifle to work with and find out what it likes. I don't want to buy the latest manual for one bullet my rifle may not like, says likes a 1 in 8 twist and mine is 1 in 9.

Anyway, if someone has the newest book what are the min/max loads for IMR4831 & IMR4350 and is it with regular or mag primers?

Thanks for helping a cheap skate.

• Like 1

I shoot a .264 wm. MOST won't shoot a 140+ grain LR bullet with any accuracy, due to 1 in 9 twist. Mine won't shoot 143 eldx's worth a d@mn. I settled on 130gn eldm in front of 67gns H4831sc. Pm me if you want. I've been reloading for .264's a long time. With 143's my failed test loads were about 60gns H4831sc with no signs of pressure. I've always used mag primers

Have a new rifle to work with and find out what it likes. I don't want to buy the latest manual for one bullet my rifle may not like, says likes a 1 in 8 twist and mine is 1 in 9.

Anyway, if someone has the newest book what are the min/max loads for IMR4831 & IMR4350 and is it with regular or mag primers?

Thanks for helping a cheap skate.

One big factor you're leaving out is how long is your magazine? Those ELDX bullets are very long and you're going to be taking up a lot of powder room depending on how deep you have to seat them. Use magnum primers only. These will get your velocity spreads down. Fireform your cases first, then just bump the shoulder back one or two thousands. Use a Hornady headspace guage to check this. Hornady book says 55g max for IMR4350 and 57g max for IMR4831, both about 3000fps. Reduce these charges by 10percent to start.

The likely hood a 1:9 twist on 140s is very low for good groupings. As said above stick with the 130's Bergers and maybe the 129 ELDm and give them a try. Thoses are still great bullets.

thanks guys

rifle is a Sendero, bedded, Timney trigger and prone muzzle brake. I haven't shot it yet but the guy that built it for me got a group he could cover with a quarter with Rem 140 Core-Lokt once he had all the work done on it. I have Nosler, Hornady & Berger bullets to try, I'll find one the rifle likes.

My 6.5-06 AI has a 1:9 twist and will shoot the 140 Bergers and the 142 Match Kings very well but they are shorter than the new 143s. I also live at 3000 ft elevation and hunt from there on up. Might be worth taking some measurements and plugging your data into the Berger twist calculator on their site and see what you come up with. If you can get an SG of at least 1.4 your rifle should be able to handle it. For my particular rifle at my environmental conditions, I am getting an SG of 1.48 with the 140 Bergers at 3170fps.

I just finished load development for an R700 Sendero in .264WM w. 1:9" twist. I didn't even attempt a 140+ bullet. But the 130 HVLD I worked up is a laser beam. It wasn't the fastest load I tried, but it is the most accurate. And 3195fps is still nothing to sneeze at.

20170904_160211_zpsayighoqn.jpg

20170903_074853_zpstvqtsvpz.jpg

• Like 1

thank you Lance, that's what I'm looking for, figured with a 264 I could get around 3k fps without hotrodding it and have a nice long range gun

I shot my coues this year at 573 yards with my m70 .264 and 130 eldm. LOVE .264s. Very under rated

I shot my coues this year at 573 yards with my m70 .264 and 130 eldm. LOVE .264s. Very under rated

I loves the M's too, pics of you shot and bullet recovery???