Sign in to follow this  
Guest akaspecials

Shot Placement Review

Guest akaspecials

My old man called me up the other day and suggested that we review elk anatomy and shot placement in preparation for archery bull tags we have next week. We hit the range and looked at how the arrows entered and exited the 3D targets in regards to the anatomy and making sure every shot would be a double lung no matter the angle. (We all know how far an elk can run if you only get one lung...)

I hadn't taken the time to do this in a few years cause of work and family commitments. It was a great reminder to not just look at the impact point, but to think about the entire path of the arrow through the animal. Thought I'd pass the reminder on to everyone else. A few seconds of thinking before the shot can save you (and your friends) a lot of trouble.

Any of you have any specific things you do to make sure you're putting the arrow in the perfect spot?

Any of you have any specific things you do to make sure you're putting the arrow in the perfect spot?

i aim good

At the distances you like to shoot, the pin covers the whole animal so it doesn't really matter

• Like 1

i aim good
At the distances you like to shoot, the pin covers the whole animal so it doesn't really matter

Lmfao. the OP is the one who wanted to shoot 2 peeps for distance if I remember right

• Like 2

i aim good

Lmfao. the OP is the one who wanted to shoot 2 peeps for distance if I remember right

I do believe you are correct.

Guest akaspecials

You are correct. I practice at distances over a 100 yards and found a way to use a double peep so I have extra pins at those distances.

I keep all my shots under 60 at animals. Don't see what the problem is with finding a cheap and novel solution so I can practice at farther distances.

Some of you guys need to get a life.

Guest akaspecials

Sorry. I'm pent up for the weekend with 4 kids, 2 dogs, and a wife when all I want to do is head to elk camp. I can't help but get a little testy...

You are correct. I practice at distances over a 100 yards and found a way to use a double peep so I have extra pins at those distances.

I keep all my shots under 60 at animals. Don't see what the problem is with finding a cheap and novel solution so I can practice at farther distances.

Sounds like someone hit a peep spot.

If the animals broadside I try and wait till the front legs forward and aim for the back leg. I wont take a shot if its not broadside or 1/4 away.

Don't get your peeps in a bunch.

• Like 2

If the animals broadside I try and wait till the front legs forward and aim for the back leg. I wont take a shot if its not broadside or 1/4 away.

I am not saying I've never shot an animal in the back leg, but I certainly haven't ever aimed there.

• Like 3

I am not saying I've never shot an animal in the back leg, but I certainly haven't ever aimed there.

Lol if you don't aim for the femoral artery. Just lol.

I think you guys are thinking wayyy to much into this... im saying standing broadside the leg facing you I try and wait till its forward. thus opening up the chest on the side facing you then I aim for the opposite leg.