Sign in to follow this  
bonuspointjohn

HSUS Preparing to have voter initiaive?

The following article will be shown in the Arizona Republic tomorrow. It would benefit all sportsmen to spread the word that this is management of wildlife by emotion and the ballot, not by the AZGFD, which it should be. This group[ is sponsored by the HSUS from Washington D.C...... certainly not driven by Arizona residents........BPJ

http://azc.cc/2yrZ6Su

• Like 2

This initiative to ban cougar and bobcat hunting makes me angry. We will get to this in a minute. The world is a big place. In order to get my head around it. I need to make it a smaller place. Just like hunting, I try to take my unit and pick and choose where I will scout. There are only so many hours in the day. So, I had to downsize this issue in my brain. This decision comes down to three types of people. Hunters, Anti-Hunters and Non-Hunters. Anti-hunters will never change their minds. They are a waste of time. Hunters need to know about this initiative and we need to share the word.

Then it occurred to me that every one I talked to about the ban on cougar and bobcat hunting agreed with me. How could this be? You know the answer. I was talking to other hunters. This issue will be decided by Non-Hunters. They are the biggest of the three groups. So the first thing I did was to start following Arizona Sportsmen for Wildlife conservation on Facebook. The more ideas we have the better we can communicate with Non-Hunters. Then I realized the challenge "URBANIZATION". This is a different Arizona then I grew up in. I don't think that people living in Tempe or Paradise Valley are worried about Cougars killing their pets or Bobcats raiding their chicken coop. Don't make the mistake of thinking the Humane Society of the United States is stupid. Rebranding themselves as Arizonans for Wildlife is genius. They have the money and emotion on their side. We have facts and common sense. That might not be enough for us.

So I was talking to the wife, a Non-Hunter. We live in Mesa so I know she is not losing sleep over cougars eating Sammy the wonder dog. I asked her what bothered her about this initiative. She said it was a matter of choice. If she decided she wanted to hunt she did not want people taking that choice away from her. A light bulb went on. This why I am angry. Anti-Hunters are messing with my choice to hunt.

We need to communicate with as many Non-Hunters as we can. We never think about it but we support their choice to not hunt. We need to let them know this. We need to get them to respect our choice just like we respect theirs. Talk to your Non-Hunting friends. Let them know we are in a historic drought and need to protect and manage all wildlife. I even talked to one person that thought Cougars are endangered. Don't get mad at their lack of knowledge. Have a discussion. You will learn a lot believe me. DECLINE TO SIGN!!!!!

• Like 3

I've been speaking with everyone I can about this, particularly non-hunters. I remind them that -

1) A fear of humans for a sneaky apex predator that can leap 30 feet is a good thing, especially if you enjoy the great outdoors or even just being on the outskirts of town. There is plenty of evidence from CA that supports a trend in braving cats since their hunting ban.

2) Lion meat is said to be great table fare and I don't know of a single harvested lion that wasn't taken home and put on many dinner plates. I recently ate a bobcat fillet and it was wonderful. Cats are not just "trophys" for hunters.

3) Most importantly, the AZGFD is made up of people from all walks of life, educated in conservation, and they should remain in control of hunting regulations on all non-T&E wildlife species by using sound science, not emotion.

I feel that most, if not all the non-hunters I have been talking to agree. Don't be quiet on this one, folks. Be civil, diligent and share what you know is right. Lastly, stand by your fellow hunters, regardless of your difference styles of pursuit.

• Like 2

Another point you might add to your list is that if this thing passes and cat hunting is banned, eventually there may be a need to thin the cat population out, who's gonna pay for that? That cost will no longer be paid by the sportsman, it will pass on to the taxpayer.

• Like 1

What can be done to counteract it? Any groups?

Arizona Sportsmen for Wildlife Conservation. I follow them on facebook.

• Like 1

What can be done to counteract it? Any groups?

Arizona Sportsmen for Wildlife Conservation. I follow them on facebook.

Found another facebook page I like. Arizonans for Wildlife Accuracy.

Nasty anti-hunting article in the Republic this morning. I posted it in the Mountain Lion forum. thought it might get more views.

Saw this unfortunate git outside of whole foods a couple of weeks ago. Before the ridicule- its the first time wife and i have been in over 3 years- we wanted to see how the Amazon purchase changed selection and prices- not enough for me to visit again any time soon.

You should've seen all the people stopping to sign. Its too bad our legislative system doesn't allow for the gathering of counter-signatures to prevent the initiative from making to the ballot.

post-13527-0-22391400-1518202700_thumb.jpg

• Like 1