Sign in to follow this  
Heat

Modern Bows Short Brace Heights Question

Most compound bows especially the flagship bows from the major companies today seem to have brace heights 6.5 inches or less from what I gather. What changed that lets the average archer shoot bows like this well? What am I missing? Maybe I'm getting old, but I remember 7-7.5 being more common.

I've been thinking about buying a newer compound bow since mine is over 10 years old and there have been some major technology advancements since then. Looking for a more forgiving bow if there is such a thing anymore. My draw length is about 27.5 inches and I probably would choose a 60# bow and max it out. Not too long or too short for ATA, something around 32 or 33 is probably the sweet spot for me. What should I be looking at? Not a beginner or newbie, just have been bit by the traditional archery bug recently and have not kept up with the compound stuff!

Shorter brace height=more speed. All companies still make bows with long brace heights but they are usully marketed as target bows

What I'm getting at is 20 years ago if you put a bow with a 6" brace height in a guys hand he would be spraying arrows everywhere unless he had excellent form and release. Now you can give a brand new guy a bow with a 6" brace height, give him a half hour worth of instruction and he is doing 5" groups at 50 yards. What technological advancements allowed this to happen?

The primary problem I remember having with very short brace height bows of years ago (pse g force for one example)was wrist slap. With string stoppers that is now a thing of the past.

That having been said, there still is a real tunability issue with bows that have too sharp of a string angle, which can either be from short axle to axle lengths, short brace height or a combination of the two. Manufacturers have gotten around this in large part by goin with larger diameter cams. This can not only increase the string angle, but also generate a faster smoother shot. Older 'speed bows' were harsh on the draw cycle and the cams had some very creative and aggressive profiles to them.

there is a lot of math and techy nerd speak that could be used, but in short they are just different animals now. That having been said, I've purchased two different brand new top shelf fancy dancy bows in the last five years, and both ended up on the closet shelf before eventually going to eBay while I continue to shoot and kill deer with my 2008 black ice. I guess it just feels right.

Due to the speed of the bow the arrow comes off the string faster than they used too. So brace height isn't as big of a deal as it used to be. There's several articles on the internet about it.

That makes sense. I figured it had a lot to do with the cam systems and other stuff like roller cable guards, string stops, and longer risers. I think the past parallel and preloaded limb stuff might help too. I guess I just won't worry about the numbers and just try and shoot as many as I can before I decide on a new one. The bow I shoot now is a PSE Diablo with NRG cams. It is very slow compared to most newer bows. Maybe I'll just get a new string and cables for it and re-tune from there. Seems like some of the new stuff can make tuning easier. My bow has horrendous cam lean and not the best nock travel. I think the new ones are much better in that regard.

Shorter the brace height the less forgiving on your form it will regardless of technology.7" is a safe number. Look for an elite 35 used and you will be well pleased.

That makes sense. I figured it had a lot to do with the cam systems and other stuff like roller cable guards, string stops, and longer risers. I think the past parallel and preloaded limb stuff might help too. I guess I just won't worry about the numbers and just try and shoot as many as I can before I decide on a new one. The bow I shoot now is a PSE Diablo with NRG cams. It is very slow compared to most newer bows. Maybe I'll just get a new string and cables for it and re-tune from there. Seems like some of the new stuff can make tuning easier. My bow has horrendous cam lean and not the best nock travel. I think the new ones are much better in that regard.

I shot a diablo with the nrg came. Great bow! As you said, not that fast, but super accurate and very forgiving. Light weight too.

There's some good articles on archery talk about tuning for cam lean. Doesn't require anything more than twisting the cables.

I personally don't bother with it as long as I'm getting a bullet hole in the paper with both fletched and bare shaft arrows.

• Like 1

Ya that's the problem. Can't get it to paper tune to save my life but it will still shoot decent groups. I eventually quit worrying about what it looked like through paper and just hunted.

Ya that's the problem. Can't get it to paper tune to save my life but it will still shoot decent groups. I eventually quit worrying about what it looked like through paper and just hunted.

Have you taken it to an archery store or range and had one of the staffers watch you shoot? I had a heck of a time getting one of my old bows to tune and it turned out to be how I was gripping the bow. Adjusted my grip a little and just like magic: perfect holes. Turned out the way I was pressing the palm of my hand into the grip was causing it to torque on release every time giving me a consistent sideways tear that nothing would fix.

Need to spend some time somewhere in the Valley. Unfortunately that doesn't exist here in Yuma. There are some guys that know whats up at the outdoor range but nowhere to work and tune on the bow.

Need to spend some time somewhere in the Valley. Unfortunately that doesn't exist here in Yuma. There are some guys that know whats up at the outdoor range but nowhere to work and tune on the bow.

If you're up on the west side of town, you can stop by my place in Avondale if you want. I have everything needed.

• Like 1

If you're up on the west side of town, you can stop by my place in Avondale if you want. I have everything needed.

I may take you up on that someday!