Sign in to follow this  
HBU

coues pick ups

How many on this forum have found nice lion killed coues bucks while in the field and what do you do with them when you find them?

found plenty but they are not always bucks sometimes they are fawns or does. What a shame maybe they could have been good bucks someday!

I found this one a while back and wasn't quite sure what to do with it when I found it.post-2129-1196809774_thumb.jpg

Found a nice coues buck lion killed down here in 40A few years back on a sheep hunt. Hung the head in a tree til all the hide rotted off then went back for it. You might consider doing the same since you could possibly be breaking the law with having possesion of the head the way it is now.

I found this one a while back and wasn't quite sure what to do with it when I found it.post-2129-1196809774_thumb.jpg

You might get lashed for that picutre... blood.. toungue hangin out :D just kiddin.

Ive never found anything super fresh, but havd found some heads. of pigs, does fawns and bucks.

I had a guy from texas I was guiding try to tell me that lions dont kill big bucks out here.... guess hes the expert huh ;)

never found a coues skull but found a javalina skull on my last hunt in 21. also found a big 4x6 mulie skull while out quail hunting in 19b. i looks to me to have had half its face bitten off. tried to post a pic of it but i'm not exactly sure how.

I have found two this year, one I thought was a shed at first because the head was burried in leaves and only a antler was sticking out. I left that one because it was a small two point and it was still bloody. But I found a nice three point that I brought home :)

hbu

I found this one in Feb 07 - real nice lion kill that came home with me...

AzP&Y

post-898-1196859054_thumb.jpg

Doug, looks like a OLD buck.. looks to be a heavy hornd forker... nice find!

what about the one where you heard the racket down below you and never saw that deer come out again?

Ive had mixed results from the game and fish about keeping pickups. we had a bull elk skull confiscated from us because we couldnt "prove" that the elk wasnt taken illegally. The officers argument was that we may have disturbed a crime scene of an illegally taken elk. so i err on the side of caution when it comes to pickups of anything

Doug, looks like a OLD buck.. looks to be a heavy hornd forker... nice find!

what about the one where you heard the racket down below you and never saw that deer come out again?

Hey Casey- I agree I think he was an old heavy horned buck.

I'll be down there next week to check out the one down below that made all of the racket and see what is left down there. My buddy has the 34a Dec hunt so we're going to be there to hunt and I'm going to see what may be left from that lion/deer exchange...In a way I hope the deer scrambled loose... but it's always nice to find a coues rack. I may walk 100 more miles and not find a coues rack like the one I found in Feb of this year. But that's what makes it a great experience and spending time in the desert...

Good luck in 36b and with a little more than a week , you must be off the hook excited!

AzP&Y

Doug

great pick-ups, i havent managed to find any real keepers yet, but still hopeful