Kilimanjaro

the last few day's outings...

I figured I'd share a slew of pics from the last few days in the chilly MT uplands and farm country..

The last few days have been pretty much a blessing when you consider where we now live.. Cold, yes.. but it's been completely calm lately with those flawless bluebird skies the west can be famous for.. highs have been around the 23-25 degree mark.. perfect conditions for the dogs and I to make a few outings before the next front pushes through.. (like tonight! It is WINDY and COLD!)

these pics are in no particular order and contain pics from the last few days out... just figured ya'll would enjoy seeing them!!

Our mornings have been typically starting out in this fashion..

120807001.jpg

Do ya'll remember the news article from 2 months ago of the MT guy who was phez hunting and got mauled by the Grizzly bear?? Well, it was right here, within a mile or so. This place has plenty of roosters, but plenty of BIG bears call this place home as well.. I was hoping NOT to run into any tracks.. With the recent cold snap, I figured they had gone to bed finally for the winter.

But man, its it ever a beautiful place to hunt.

112307003.jpg

112307005.jpg

Some of the areas other furry critters have been hard at it as well!!

112307001.jpg

the pups sure do like it over there!!

112307008.jpg

We weren't finding too many birds out that way, so we decided to bring it in about 20 miles from the moutains.. back in the irrigated country that those roosters just thrive in.

...and it didn't take long at all and we had a rooster pinned down hard..

111607002_edited.jpg

..and if you find a spot like this mixed in with your prairie and farm country, it would be wise to make a pass thru it!! As I took this pic, 3 roosters blew out within 10 ft of me!! Typical.

112007025.jpg

Those pups have saved countless lost cripples for me this season.. They LOVE when they get to run down those lightly shot roosters!!

111607001_edited.jpg

112007005_edited.jpg

the last few outings have been pretty fruitful when it comes to hunting ditch parrots..

111607021.jpg

112007007.jpg

111607006_edited.jpg

including this Granddaddy rooster!!

120807022.jpg

Yesterday, we went back out near the moutains again and gave it a go, but came up emptyhanded.. So, we crossed the river....

120807006.jpg

...and headed back out to the irrigated pastures for roosters and the spralling CRP fields for sharpies that we've had so much good luck in thus far..

in this photo, you can see the mountains where we had just come from in the distance, the farm fields in the middle where we took a limit of roosters a hour beforehand, and now, we are on the high steppes where the grouse are in great numbers.. (Obviously!! :cool:)

120807004.jpg

not too bad for a 2 hour outing yesterday..

120807018_edited.jpg

thanks for lookin' guys!!

OK, so seriously, I am done seeing these picutes. please stop posting :D

Sure is nice to see Virgil on point, love seeing that tail straight up!

Wow....that's just very cool. Hey Scottyboy, how are the landowner access issues up there? Seems like you are just running all over up there with no problems. Plenty of places that allow hunting?

Amanda

Scott,

Thanks for the pheasant hunting trip on a snowy Sunday night in Flag. I looked at the MT antelope draw odds for near you, not favorable. Guess Rica will have to only hunt upland birds. Shucks.

Pics seem sharp. What camera are you using?

Doug

thanks guys!!

Amanda, MT has TONS of Block Management land.. It's private, but the state pays the landowner to allow access.. Works out pretty well. In addition to that, the landowners who aren't under the BMA program up here will usually let ya hunt their farm or ranch if you are polite and just basically ask for permission with a smile and a handshake.. Definatey NOT what I grew up with in TX. This place is like stepping back in time 50 years.. It's been great so far..

Doug,

We'll save ya a few birds for next Oct!! Rica's gonna LOVE it up here!! If we time your trip right, we'll get ya into all 7 species of upland birdies!

thanks for the pic compliment... same little ol camera I always have handy.. Its my Sony CyberShot with the Zeiss lens.. 6MP. tiny, and easy to shoot with while you are busy wrestling dogs, guns, etc..

I don't know you and don't know what you do for a living, but you should be in F&S or Outdoor life as a writer and photog. Your posts are the most interesting I've ever read on bird hunting, and your photos are spectacular. You've got my attention, and I can't wait for more!

Great photos Scottyboy! Keep it up and I may consider leaving my home state. With several million people moving into Az it may be time to look for country like Arizona used to be.

azyoung

AC guy,

Scottyboy protects our borders on the north like our boys do down south here......border patrol.

Scottyboy thanks for all the pics and everything you do to document your outings!

ac guy,

that is one of the nicest compliments a guy could get.. thank you. I just love taking photos and writing hunting related stuff.. i WISH i could get paid to do it for a living!! Or at least a good side gig..

I wish I had some grand big game adventure to write about this season, but since I just moved here to MT in Sept., all I have to do up here this season is pound on the local population of upland birds with the mutts till next season rolls around!!

Doug (AZP&Y),

hey buddy.. you still want some phez tail feathers for tying flys?? I've been saving you a handful and I'll get them in the mail to ya as soon as season ends up here after the new year if you still want some!! Just let me know!!

Doug (AZP&Y),

hey buddy.. you still want some phez tail feathers for tying flys?? I've been saving you a handful and I'll get them in the mail to ya as soon as season ends up here after the new year if you still want some!! Just let me know!!

Scott- You bet - I'm confirmed for Alaska July 02-12th 2008 - SO I BETTER get some flies tied! Thank you so much for sending them down when the season closes. I'll get you my address and send that to you. I'll take some pics of the flies and send you some because you are in some of the most pristine trout fishing country in the world! Summertime in Montana!

Hope you are enjoying the job and Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Awesome birds by the way. Always enjoy the pictures, they along with the story make for fantastic reading. I thought about you this last weekend, when I was helping a friend try and get his coues! MEARNS everywhere!

Doug

AzP&Y