Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector777

Brothers Desert Bighorn

I think this ram was possibly over judged because nobody would knowingly shoot a ram under 150 net score in a unit where 170+ rams exist.

Is that why your hunter shot a 164 ram last year in the same unit and the other hunter had to shoot curly off the right-a-way fence on I10 before he fell over and died of old age? This ram wasn't over judged or under judged. His only goal was to shoot a ram that he liked and that's what he did. The ram with him scored more than he did but didn't have that long curl which my brother preferred over the more massive shorter horned ram. We estimated the ram to be high 150's possibly 160 tops and when we killed him the taxidermist scored him at 155". Game and fish scored him 152" gross. Net score is stupid on any animal. We knew his left horn was shorter than his right but didn't account for his last left mass measurement to be nearly three inches smaller than his right. Give him three inches there on mass and he's right where we estimated him to be. Matching horns he's over 160 inches easy. No different than if I shot a 360 bull that had a broken fourth that scored 340. In my eyes that bull scores 360.

Were there bigger rams in the unit? Absolutely, we were watching one with this ram. Could we have hunted another week or two and possibly found an even bigger one? Absolutely. Did we kill a 9 year old ram were perfectly happy with and don't care if he's Boone and Crockett? Absolutely.

I've shot 370 bulls in units that the same year and years past had 400 bulls in it. Was my hunt a waste? Maybe if only 400 inch bulls make someone happy. Believe me I like killing big animals as much as the next guy but killing the biggest animal in the unit every hunt isn't the only requirement for a hunt to be fun or successful. I understand when guiding for sheep is what you do for a living so maybe a 155 ram doesn't get you excited. But for some guys from northern AZ that are just happy to be out there doing it for first time and possibly only time in our lives I would have been doing backflips if he shot a 130 ram.

• Like 5

I'm glad you had a good hunt and are pleased with the beautiful animal you (your Brother) decided to shoot. I didn't mean to open a can of worms by asking the score. I shot my ram in the same unit based on the fact that I loved his look and the score was secondary. I was curious about the location only because I have most of the kills in that unit marked on a map and was looking to helping future hunters in that unit, the same way previous hunters helped me. The five veterans of the unit ALL wanted to help and we were disappointed no-one reached out for help. The bighorn sheep hunt is a wonderful opportunity, and it's fun to help the next guy. The same guys who helped me, helped the hunter in 2015, and he too held out for the ram he wanted with no regards to score. We were looking to be a part of the hunt in 2016, and indeed I had the opportunity to help look for "curly", but everyone involved in the hunt in 2016 cooperated and helped each other, and I know that the hunter that shot the ram (165ish) was pleased with his choice, because I have his photograph smiling ear to ear. As for "curly" what better Ram to take than one that had contributed so much to the gene pool and was at the end of his life? Where he spent his time in no way diminished how truly magnificent an animal he was. Looking forward to meeting you or you brother at the sheep banquet next year. Congratulations to both of you!

I'm glad you had a good hunt and are pleased with the beautiful animal you (your Brother) decided to shoot. I didn't mean to open a can of worms by asking the score. I shot my ram in the same unit based on the fact that I loved his look and the score was secondary. I was curious about the location only because I have most of the kills in that unit marked on a map and was looking to helping future hunters in that unit, the same way previous hunters helped me. The five veterans of the unit ALL wanted to help and we were disappointed no-one reached out for help. The bighorn sheep hunt is a wonderful opportunity, and it's fun to help the next guy. The same guys who helped me, helped the hunter in 2015, and he too held out for the ram he wanted with no regards to score. We were looking to be a part of the hunt in 2016, and indeed I had the opportunity to help look for "curly", but everyone involved in the hunt in 2016 cooperated and helped each other, and I know that the hunter that shot the ram (165ish) was pleased with his choice, because I have his photograph smiling ear to ear. As for "curly" what better Ram to take than one that had contributed so much to the gene pool and was at the end of his life? Where he spent his time in no way diminished how truly magnificent an animal he was. Looking forward to meeting you or you brother at the sheep banquet next year. Congratulations to both of you!

It's all good. You didn't open a can of worms. Just found it funny the Scott brothers are so into themselves to claim someone overjudged a ram just because it's not a 170 incher. Even better when they misjudged curlys score by 12-15 inches. As for what I said about curly you're right a hunter couldn't have killed a better ram. Its just the circumstances of how he was killed after 5 years of them not being able to kill him. Then not let the regular guided hunter kill him because they made some deal with a rich dude to fly in and shoot it. Then they let themselves think they're special when he's finally dead.

But in regards to the past tag holders helping we would have been very grateful for the help but didn't have the first clue on how to get ahold of past hunters. We even asked the game manager from the unit and were told oh don't worry you'll have a lot of those guys contacting you. Guess we never really thought about it after that and we made the decision we were doing it on our own. But we will be at the banquet with my brothers sheep next year so I'll make sure to contact you and we can all meet and introduce ourselves. Thanks again.

bonecollector777 if its not too big a pain, can you send the kill location to my E-mail (as close as you can describe it) thanks so much... GRuiz oorah_dad@yahoo.com

Id like to apologize for the comment I left earlier. A desert sheep is very rare and special no matter the score. These days to much emphasis is on score. A good ram is a good ram no matter the score.

Ive been a part of around 50 rams in my 20 years guiding desert sheep and I still find it difficult judging sheep scores. Sometimes I'm right on the money and other times I embarrass myself how far off I might be.

Any how congrats to your brother and all involved. I know you guys worked hard scouting and preparing for this hunt.

• Like 7

Fantastic job on a great Ram . The Opportunity to hunt a Desert Bighorn Ram in Arizona is a rare and special gift! The first time you see a Ram on a scouting trip will absolutely take your breath away . The miles on your truck and boots will add up fast in the hopes that you will find the one special Ram .. and then at some point you will realize that all mature Rams are majestic in there own way! Nice job ! Your one of the few owners of a Arizona Desert Bighorn Ram!

• Like 2