Sign in to follow this  
AZDirtyTaco

'Stink Pigs'

Already killed one. Heading out on.my general tag next weekend.

Going to try and either kill another one with my 10mm, or kill one eith my grandpa's 30-30.

Tice is a she and she Is the person that is in charge of presenting the hunt recommendations to the board. I did not say that she decides how many permits are allowed, that is a secret known only to the top bureaucrats. <_<

Tice hasn't worked for the AZGFD for quite a few years now and I believe Amber Munig is the one who brings the hunt recommendations in front of the commission.

You are right my bad.

They are essentially a "New World Pig". Remember science is all over the place on this stuff. At one point they were considered related to old world pigs. So what changed? Not the Javelina or the pigs. It's always the so called "science" that changes. And Tayassuidae do in fact have Suidae in their family tree along with the Hippopotamus. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably at the very least SOME KIND OF DUCK...

The reason for Science often flip flopping. Each time evidence says otherwise they flip. Its to be expected.

Corinthians 1:19

For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."

Genesis 1:24

And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so.

In the 👉mid 19th century👈 Darwin developed the theory of evolution.

So whatever the Javelina is he has always been.

• Like 1

They are essentially a "New World Pig". Remember science is all over the place on this stuff. At one point they were considered related to old world pigs. So what changed? Not the Javelina or the pigs. It's always the so called "science" that changes. And Tayassuidae do in fact have Suidae in their family tree along with the Hippopotamus. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably at the very least SOME KIND OF DUCK...

The reason for Science often flip flopping. Each time evidence says otherwise they flip. Its to be expected.

Corinthians 1:19

For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."

Genesis 1:24

And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so.

In the mid 19th century Darwin developed the theory of evolution.

So whatever the Javelina is he has always been.

Only since he has been a "Javelina"...

Bill may be reading Gerald Day perhaps???

Quite frankly, I haven't read Gerry's book in so many years I can't begin to count them. lf he discussed the origin of the name "javelina" in his book, I forgot about it and I apologize for not giving him credit. It was published long before the garbage about collared peccaries being descended from rodents or named for the long sharp teeth on young peccaries started making the rounds.

What happened, was a light bulb went off when I hunted red stag and wild boar on a friend's estate in Spain's Toledo Mountains in 1984, and the farm worker assigned to help me started talking about "jabalis" when we found where a group of boars had been rooting.

I was pleased to see Gerry again last year at the funeral of a mutual friend. He along with Tice Supplee are THE undisputed experts on the javelina in Arizona.

Bill Quimby

Agreed. Not familiar with Tice. Does he have any writing published on Javelina?

Tice is the woman who early in her career worked with Gerry Day when he was studying javelinas. She advanced up the game department's chain of command until she was the game branch chief. She may have gone higher in the agency, but I retired from the newspaper about then and lost track of her.

She was extremely knowledgeable about Arizona's wildlife and especially good at soothing disgruntled hunters when she testified at commission meetings.

Bill Quimby

Very cool. But no writing then I gather? Another good informative read on the Peccary is the Lyle K Sowls, although not nearly as much fun it has a load of science and biology. A lot of it is just quoting others research though. Gerald Day included heavily.

Javelina as in the spear is a term made up by Mexicans. The proper name is Collared Peccary. Lets see what you all can do with that name. :mellow:

Can you say peccary on this web site?

Actually, the word "javelina" has nothing to do with javelins or spears, or even Mexicans.

It stems from the Spanish word for the European wild boar, "jabali." The Spanish conquistadores who first encountered the collared peccary in the New World long before there was a Mexico added "ina" to indicate they reminded them of small wild boars.

English-speakers often have trouble with Spanish words that contain a B and tend to pronounce them as if the B was a V, which resulted in a "jabalina" becoming known as a "javelina."

Bill Quimby

This is correct^^^

Good to see you approve. I am sure Bill will sleep better tonight knowing he got a nod from the great Czar of The Peccaries.

Hey Gut Shooter! We're trying to have a civilization over here! If you have nothing productive to add, go waste some more meat/life and post about it on social media... Ya TB.

Javelina as in the spear is a term made up by Mexicans. The proper name is Collared Peccary. Lets see what you all can do with that name. :mellow:

Can you say peccary on this web site?

Actually, the word "javelina" has nothing to do with javelins or spears, or even Mexicans.

It stems from the Spanish word for the European wild boar, "jabali." The Spanish conquistadores who first encountered the collared peccary in the New World long before there was a Mexico added "ina" to indicate they reminded them of small wild boars.

English-speakers often have trouble with Spanish words that contain a B and tend to pronounce them as if the B was a V, which resulted in a "jabalina" becoming known as a "javelina."

Bill Quimby

This is correct^^^

Good to see you approve. I am sure Bill will sleep better tonight knowing he got a nod from the great Czar of The Peccaries.

Hey Gut Shooter! We're trying to have a civilization over here! If you have nothing productive to add, go waste some more meat/life and post about it on social media... Ya TB.

Youve been here like 10 minutes so ease up on your holier than thou BS.

And if you think CWT is civilized, you are showing your ignorance.

Quite frankly, I haven't read Gerry's book in so many years I can't begin to count them. lf he discussed the origin of the name "javelina" in his book, I forgot about it and I apologize for not giving him credit. It was published long before the garbage about collared peccaries being descended from rodents or named for the long sharp teeth on young peccaries started making the rounds.

What happened, was a light bulb went off when I hunted red stag and wild boar on a friend's estate in Spain's Toledo Mountains in 1984, and the farm worker assigned to help me started talking about "jabalis" when we found where a group of boars had been rooting.

I was pleased to see Gerry again last year at the funeral of a mutual friend. He along with Tice Supplee are THE undisputed experts on the javelina in Arizona.

Bill Quimby

Tice is the woman who early in her career worked with Gerry Day when he was studying javelinas. She advanced up the game department's chain of command until she was the game branch chief. She may have gone higher in the agency, but I retired from the newspaper about then and lost track of her.

She was extremely knowledgeable about Arizona's wildlife and especially good at soothing disgruntled hunters when she testified at commission meetings.

Bill Quimby

Very cool. But no writing then I gather? Another good informative read on the Peccary is the Lyle K Sowls, although not nearly as much fun it has a load of science and biology. A lot of it is just quoting others research though. Gerald Day included heavily.

Gerry Day and Lyle Sowls were not the only biologists who wrote about Arizona's javelina's. Before them, the agency's southern Arizona regional supervisor (whose name I've forgotten) published a nifty report complete with maps and herd sizes in specific locations. The number of javelinas he estimated to be in what now is Catalina State Park was just short of amazing.

Bill Quimby

I was having a senior moment, but the name of one of the earliest javelina researchers finally came to me. He was Ted Knipe, a really nice guy. I wish I still had one of his maps showing herd locations.

Bill Quimby

Dang Bill why are you up at 3 dark 30 researching? Early bird gets the worm or bad habits die hard. LOL There are a lot of people who have studied and written on the intriguing little animals.

Bill Quimby

Bill Quimby

Gerry Day and Lyle Sowls were not the only biologists who wrote about Arizona's javelina's. Before them, the agency's southern Arizona regional supervisor (whose name I've forgotten) published a nifty report complete with maps and herd sizes in specific locations. The number of javelinas he estimated to be in what now is Catalina State Park was just short of amazing.

Bill Quimby

Do you think the numbers in the wild places have dropped a lot in the last 15 years? I think they have especially when reading some of these older publications. If so, why do you think that is?

I was having a senior moment, but the name of one of the earliest javelina researchers finally came to me. He was Ted Knipe, a really nice guy. I wish I still had one of his maps showing herd locations.

Bill Quimby

Wasn't he one of Gerald's mentors?

Dang Bill why are you up at 3 dark 30 researching? Early bird gets the worm or bad habits die hard. LOL There are a lot of people who have studied and written on the intriguing little animals.

Do you know of more? If so who, and where can I get them? Anything more modern?

"Wasn't he one of Gerald's mentors?"

He was Gerry's boss. He was the regional supervisor in Tucson for many years.

"Dang Bill why are you up at 3 dark 30 researching?"

For nearly 30 years, I was at work at 4 AM. Now, though, the diuretics I take for my heart get me up every two hours and I have trouble going back to sleep. So I surf the 'Net, work on a book I'm writing for someone, and watch for sunup. If I'm lucky, in a good night I get four to five hours of interrupted sleep. The only saving thing about old age is that it doesn't last long.

Bill

• Like 1