Edge

Where am I?

old gillespie dam on the gila.

Yup

My uncle Bernard Gillespie had it built around 1920

any relation to the Gillespie clan in Pinetop/Lakeside?

Edge, trying to send you a message, but maybe your inbox is full?

Thanks, it was; thought you had my phone number?

Mortensen clan put together a partnership in the Virden, NM area along the Gila back in the day. Beautiful area to this day. Farming still exists to some extent there! No dams built by the clan but lots of good stories of the area!

That's some special country out there. Maybe an hour NW of my grandparents home.

Lordsburg? Deming? Animas??? I grew up in Animas......
Between Ft Bayard and Silver City

Have you read the book Gillespie [/size]Gold. Pretty good read.

I just read it again. Good writer but E. Mac Pherson was much better known for his Western and WWII pinup art. Book lacked a lot from content to research of dates and such.

The chapter on the beautiful Sonoran Senorita is my father's sister Grace, whom Bernard married in 1945.

I'm digging deeper into Bernard Jr's life. He was a B-17 pilot, shot down over Africa early in the war and sole survivor of the bombers crew. Captured by the Germans, he came back to health in a an enemy field hospital. While being transported to Europe in a German Submarine, the vessel was depth charged and forced to surface by a British Destroyer.

He resumed piloting B-17s out of England and was shot down again over Germany near the end of the war and held prisoner. Again, the crews sole survivor.

post-11051-0-54295800-1516818399_thumb.jpg

Bernard Gillespie Jr is seated center with his crew of the Tanta Liza, December 1944.

His awards included The Silver Star, Air Medal, Purple Heart and EAME Campaign Ribbon with two battle star devices.

He carried a lot of PTSD and survivors guilt and died in 1962.

post-11051-0-97463500-1516847239.jpg

post-11051-0-00944200-1516818155.jpg

• Like 8

old gillespie dam on the gila.

Yup

My uncle Bernard Gillespie had it built around 1920

any relation to the Gillespie clan in Pinetop/Lakeside?
I don't believe so unless of course they're part time residents and own gobs of land.

Grace and Bernard's kids are pretty well off, inherited everything from luxury hotels, oil company holdings to a private island in British Columbia complete with a luxurious French Chateau.

I just read it again. Good writer but E. Mac Pherson was much better known for his Western and WWII pinup art. Book lacked a lot from content to research of dates and such.

The chapter on the beautiful Sonoran Senorita is my father's sister Grace, whom Bernard married in 1945.

I'm digging deeper into Bernard Jr's life. He was a B-17 pilot, shot down over Africa early in the war and sole survivor of the bombers crew. Captured by the Germans, he came back to health in a an enemy field hospital. While being transported to Europe in a German Submarine, the vessel was depth charged and forced to surface by a British Destroyer.

He resumed piloting B-17s out of England and was shot down again over Germany near the end of the war and held prisoner. Again, the crews sole survivor.

attachicon.gif15168174521481922054593.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180124_111126116.jpg

Bernard Gillespie Jr is seated center with his crew of the Tanta Liza, December 1944.

His awards included The Silver Star, Air Medal, Purple Heart and EAME Campaign Ribbon with two battle star devices.

fascinating.

I can tell you’ve done a lot of research to find all this out. How many times do you think you’ve past the dam and never new you had family history with it?

attachicon.gif15168174521481922054593.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180124_111126116.jpg

attachicon.gif46e7fbfe26d8fd3dd2b2b0e35198fb2e.jpg

attachicon.gifgillespie-126-ardis.jpg

Cool photos of the real deal.......

• Like 1

My Grandma was born and raised in Virden, cool little town but I know it makes them sad every time we go back to see it now compared to what it used to be.

• Like 1

My Grandma was born and raised in Virden, cool little town but I know it makes them sad every time we go back to see it now compared to what it used tI ins

I installed a kitchen in Virden about 8 years ago and was amazed at how that little area had taken such a hit from the meth heads trying to dodge the law.

I went to my Granpa's old place to see if I could get some pictures of the place and his old barn! After I spoke to the gal that came to the door, I told my wife.......we better get out of here!!!

Beautiful little hidden spot, but like you say, it isn't like it used to be......

• Like 1

My Grandma was born and raised in Virden, cool little town but I know it makes them sad every time we go back to see it now compared to what it used tI ins

I installed a kitchen in Virden about 8 years ago and was amazed at how that little area had taken such a hit from the meth heads trying to dodge the law.

I went to my Granpa's old place to see if I could get some pictures of the place and his old barn! After I spoke to the gal that came to the door, I told my wife.......we better get out of here!!!

Beautiful little hidden spot, but like you say, it isn't like it used to be......

Me too, drove the 20 miles of dirt road and washes to see the grandparents old homestead. It wasn't full of meth heads but still unsightly. A cattle company had moved in. Now there were mobile homes parked along side 170 year old buildings. The chicken coop and spring gone.

To borrow from Wolfe, you can't go home again.

• Like 1

My Grandma was born and raised in Virden, cool little town but I know it makes them sad every time we go back to see it now compared to what it used to be.

Wheres Virden?

It's just above the Gila across from Duncan AZ.

• Like 1