Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

6.5 Rifle Build/Assembly Update!!!

I don't think I can really call this a build, it is more of an assembly really. I am excited about it though none the less. I knew I wanted to build this to be a more classic looking hunting rifle that was different than what most people are doing these days. What better way to build a classic non-traditional (to the US) rifle then to start with a Mannlicher style rifle in a well established European caliber that has never gotten its full due here in the US, 6.5x55SE. I have always been a sucker for cool calibers that are not "mainstream" or super common. I picked this rifle up new/used off backpage basically brand new for a good price about 6-7 months ago. Then the research and saving of $$$ began for optics, rings, etc. The rifle is a CZ550 FS (Full Stock) in 6.5x55. The CZ550 series offers the Mauser style action and also there single set trigger which is awesome. The single set trigger is a standard trigger that is pretty clean, has a reasonable weight, and is adjustable. The "set" trigger happens if you push the trigger forward and it "sets" the trigger to a much lighter and very crisp trigger for more precision shooting. My rifle doesn't have quite as nice of a stock pattern as this one in the first pic, but I still love it.

cz-usa-cz-550-fs.png

I searched and searched for info on scope rings bases, scope, etc for months while I was saving some money. I wanted to maintain a classic look with a scope that had good features but didn't have a giant 50+mm objective and was somewhat compact. My price range was $600-1000 or so. I went to Cabela's, Sportsmans, and every internet site I could think of to research and touch all kinds of different options on scopes. I really liked the idea of a Leupold for the classic Gold Ring look, but it wasn't set on it. The final list of scopes came down to the Leupold VX-5HD 2-10 & Nightforce SHV 3-10. I was set on one of those, and then right before Christmas I found a website with closeouts on a Leupold VX-6 2-12 that I knew I wanted. I didn't have the cash though so I waited with the idea of if it was meant to be it would be available when I had the money. I sold a handgun last month to a friend and lucky for me the scope was still available. I pulled the trigger and brown Santa brought me this.

post-592-0-24231000-1519265944.jpg

It is a Leupold VX-6 (non-HD) with the Boone & Crockett reticle in the 2-12 power. Now it was ring time. The CZ550 has a built in 19mm baserail system. I liked the idea of the newer style Picatinny rail, and I found a nice one from EGW Guns, but I couldn't mix the oldschool with the new school. I searched and searched and finally decided on a nice set of quick release style 30MM rings from Alaska Arms. I emailed them for info, and the owner gave me a call and we talked at length and he answered all my questions and gave me great info. I was sold. I ordered a set of these last week from Morris @ Alaska Arms and they showed up on Monday!

post-592-0-94876600-1519265957.jpg

The quality of the product is awesome. I am very glad I made the choice I did. Everything showed up in this nice tin, and was packaged quite well.

post-592-0-02153500-1519265975.jpg

I knew I wanted to be better at mounting scopes and getting things done right so I ordered these from amazon from Wheeler. I lapped the new scope rings and leveled everything to the best of my ability hoping for the best possible results.

post-592-0-40740800-1519268253.jpg

I am not 100% done with this build yet, but I finally have a functional rifle, and I managed to sneak out to the range yesterday afternoon to get the scope dialed in to a 200 yard zero so I can take it on my javelina hunt this weekend!!!

post-592-0-11863700-1519265924.jpg

I plan to get a custom leather cheek riser built along with a nice custom leather sling at some point, but for now I am in business and ready to hunt!

Harley

• Like 3

Sure is a pretty rifle. I really want the exact same one in 22 hornet.

Now that is sweet! My kind of build right there. The 6.5 Sweede is an awesome cartridge. You can do anything you want to with it. Reloader 16 and 26 will give some impressive performance in that ol gal.

Nice write up. Nice to see guys building different rigs.

Yea, I'm guilty. When I build a rifle it is just another 700. Nice job on putting together something a little more unusual.

Are the pics working for you guys? Nice write up I would love to see the gun

Just built a 6.5 284 off a savage 110 action and fell in love with the .264 caliber. I see why it's so popular now

Edit: I can open them individually, looks great!

Just in case, here are the pics on direct upload.

post-592-0-11863700-1519265924_thumb.jpg

post-592-0-24231000-1519265944_thumb.jpg

post-592-0-94876600-1519265957_thumb.jpg

post-592-0-02153500-1519265975_thumb.jpg

post-592-0-40740800-1519268253_thumb.jpg

Now that is sweet! My kind of build right there. The 6.5 Sweede is an awesome cartridge. You can do anything you want to with it. Reloader 16 and 26 will give some impressive performance in that ol gal.

I picked up a pound of RL26 today on the way home @ sportsman's warehouse. I have some 140gr SMK's to try with them in Lapua brass soon. Berger gave me some good load data with the 140gr bullets & RL26. Quite impressive velocity claims compared to the other 2 powders he gave me info on.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing stuff and works in lots of calibers, 6.5 Creed all the way up through the magnums.

COOL!!! one of my favorite cartridges!

are you able to get your eye behind that scope with that euro buttstock? My CZ550FS is in 9.3x62, and I needed to add a leather cheek piece to get my eye high enough to use the scope I put on it.

Poole

I do need a cheek riser. I currently have a ballistic nylon ammo carrier/cheek rest from one of my other rifles on it, but I plan to get a custom leather one built to help keep the old school feel of this rifle intact.

Update:

She is a deer slayer. 

I drew a 12A east Kaibab tag along with my buddy. We both ended up using my CZ to kill our deer, and it did a great job. 

20181031_172945.jpg

20181026_081741.jpg

• Like 2