Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi

Vanguard Alta 264AO (Tripod)

Any words of wisdom on this tripod ...plan to use them on my Vortex Vulture 15x 56??

It's a pretty solid tripod/head combo for the price. I used one for several years before upgrading to a Slik/Manfrotto combination, but that over doubles your price point. I definitely prefer my Slik setups but did just purchase another Vanguard 264AO in January becuase of the growing number of hunters in my house.

• Like 1

Would you say that's better then vortex pro gt tripod??

It's a pretty solid tripod/head combo for the price. I used one for several years before upgrading to a Slik/Manfrotto combination, but that over doubles your price point. I definitely prefer my Slik setups but did just purchase another Vanguard 264AO in January becuase of the growing number of hunters in my house.

Would you say that's better then vortex pro gt tripod??

A lot better. I am a fan of Vortex optics, but have not been impressed by their tripod offerings. I tried one of their tripods a few years ago (I am a bit of a gear junky and have tried more tripods than a sane man would) and returned it after the first trip.
  • Like 1

I love that tripod. I bought one last year. Very stable for the weight/price. I don't pack it far, but doable. I have a compact slik for that. I can stand up and glass with plenty of more adjustment.

• Like 1

If you don't need the extra height at full extension the Alta+ 233AO is only 1.6lbs and several Ten spots less. I have been hunting with a Vanguard carbon fiber tripod like the 233AO (they don't have it anymore) and love it,

• Like 1

When it comes to tripods, weight = stability.

I'm 100% with Flatlander. I've tried a couple of light weight tripods and got rid of them all. You don't need to go crazy, but a little weight is good in a tripod. My tripod/head setup comes in right at 4 pounds and I'll happily pack every ounce of it for what it gives me.
  • Like 1

When it comes to tripods, weight = stability.

I'm 100% with Flatlander. I've tried a couple of light weight tripods and got rid of them all. You don't need to go crazy, but a little weight is good in a tripod. My tripod/head setup comes in right at 4 pounds and I'll happily pack every ounce of it for what it gives me.

Never have I felt that my lighter tripod was unstable.

I've used the the 263 for a few years. It's my "go to" tripod, but none of mine are high end.

The 264 will be a little easier to fit inside a pack if you need/want it inside. The weight doesn't bother me since I usually carry 10 times as much chit as I'll ever need anyway.

I ditched the factory ball head and mounted a Manfrotto 700 RC2. Next time I'll try a bare one and spend the extra $$ on another 700 RC2.

• Like 1

Any words of wisdom on this tripod ...plan to use them on my Vortex Vulture 15x 56??

I bought this exact combo for my wife two years ago. She loves it and the tripod works great. It even holds up and supports my Stiener 20x80s no problem.

• Like 1