Sign in to follow this  
cjl2010

What To Build

My 6.5SS is on a 26" #3B fluted. Shoots just fine.

22" is going to lose some speed. So RL26 should help get some or most of it back. But, at the expense of barrel wear.

6.5-.284 Norma is more suited for a long action realistically. And is another cartridge that is a 1000-1200 round burner. I am starting load development on one as we speak.

I have heard Lapua SP brass is better about primer pockets than LP brass. We shall see. Lapua also makes .260 Rem brass in SP, so you could go .260AI SP and be a step ahead of 6.5CM in the horsepower race.

• Like 1

I know a guy building a 6CM, who has dies already if you decide to switch up your current 6.5CM to 6CM instead of .22CM. And, you already have brass that can be neck sized down easily too...just sayin'. You can push a 90gr 6mm just as fast as a 90gr .22, but still be able to go up to 105 or even 115 if you want.....

• Like 1

260AI gets my vote for sure. H4350 and R16 will get you comfortably up into the the 2950fps range. R26 will put you near 3100fps range either load will definitely put elk on the menu out to 600 yards easily. I wouldn't build anything with less than a 26" barrel though unless you just want a glorified creed. If you want the performance of these other calibers listed don't handicap them with a short barrel.

• Like 1

Barrel is already bought, and 22 is what I prefer. Nothing but backpack hunts from here on out for the most part. Compact is key for me. 6.5 sst seemed bad butt but already having a 7ss for stretching it long makes me wanna stay with a .473 head.

Sounds like creedmoor vs 260ai. both have Lapua brass. Both should deliver close to 2000 rounds? Makes eating a $700 barrel not as painful if it will last 4-6 years of fun.

I was all about 26 plus brake barrels but after the last 10 years my longest shot is in the neighborhood of 475 yards. I would probably cap my coues hunts at 800 yards. More speed makes wind calls easier but I really enjoy a shorter profile.

I know a guy running a .22CM pushing a 90 (.58 G1 BC) SMK @ 3100 from a 1:7". A .224" 95SMK requires a 1:6". Which will spin the heck out of a 50gr varmint bullet...

But you could push a 6mm (.62 G1 BC) 110 SMK @ 3000-3050 from a 1:7" 24".

• Like 1

If it's a back back rifle, I'd sell it all and buy a 21" Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creed....

But I'll play along...grin...

I'd run a Creed or 6.5 Lapua for a 2.95" with RL-26 and the 147 EldM....

• Like 1

heck, my backpack rifles have scopes from 19-22 ounces too....

Like the bullet being steered properly...grin

• Like 2

One of these days my nightforce will sell, then Ill replace it with a kahles 525i I believe. Which will be about 35oz.

Depending on lance review of the March, that migh b a good direction as well being under 25oz.

If you guys ever have a chance to meet with lance at the range, I suggest you stay home. At the very least take your contacts out!!!

• Like 1

One of these days my nightforce will sell, then Ill replace it with a kahles 525i I believe. Which will be about 35oz.

Depending on lance review of the March, that migh b a good direction as well being under 25oz.

If you guys ever have a chance to meet with lance at the range, I suggest you stay home. At the very least take your contacts out!!!

I TOLD you not to look through the Premier and Schmidt & Bender....and Kahles. But noooo.....you just had to take a peak.....

You can't unsee those kinds of things.

• Like 2

You have no idea how much money lance has cost me....

Him and this site....

I am not even all in with super high end stuff but I have dropped more money in the last few years then I had spent my whole life prior.

• Like 1