Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Solo Rifle

As I was loading some Badlands Precision Bulldozer bullets for my 6.5 WSM and 28 Nosler today, I got to thinking what would I choose if I had only ONE rifle to cover Arizona game from Coues, to antelope, to mule deer, to bighorn, to bear, to elk. The rifle would have to cover short cover in the P-J to longer cross-canyon shots.

Based on your experiences good and bad, what would you purchase or build to do it all in AZ? Stock, chambering, bullet, barrel, twist, weight? What would be the reasons for your choices? What has succeeded and what has failed?

Edit: Javelina and bison were overlooked and failed to be included on the two extremes.

My dad is building that rifle for himself. Only piece we are missing is the action which should be in soon.

Lone Peak Fusion TI fully nitrided

Mcmillan game hunter edge tech

24 7 twist proof sendero

Trigger tech trigger

Hawkins dbm bottom metal

Mod evo bipod

Topped with kahles 624i in seekins rings

Chambered in 6.5SS

• Like 1

I guess if I had one rifle for AZ it would either be a 28 nolser or 7 STW loaded with the 195 bergers. I would trust that combo to be deadly in every situation in the lower 48. I dont have this combo myself. Just waiting to burn out my 7mm barrel to rechamber it. I know it would be a little over kill for coues but perfect for elk in my opinion.

This has been covered at least once recently, but I will play. Assuming no end of world scenarios or ammo shortages, this would be my short list:

6.5x55 - A CZ or Howa of some flavor, 135gr berger classic hunters.

264 win mag - 26" mid contour barrel custom or semi-custom - 140gr berger hvld

7×57 mauser - semi-custom with 24" barrel shooting 150gr ELD-X or Berger

This would be a coin toss between my two backpack rifles as buffalo is not on the criteria list...

6.5-06 Pre 64 M70 action, Rock #2 1-8, McMillan Hunters Edge, Jewell Trigger, bullets depending on game. I would switch from the 10x Mark 4 back to the 2.5x8 CDS Leupold and be at 7.75 pounds.

30-06 Pre 64 M70 Featherweight, factory 1-10 barrel, tuned factory trigger, McMillan Hunters Edge, 155.5 to 200 grain bullets, 2.5x8 Leupold, 7.4 pounds.

Could also make do with my .257 Roberts custom Mauser, but it is heavier at 8.3 pounds and not as weather resistant...

Edit: with buffalo on the list, my 30-06 is the clear winner for me. Bought it with buffalo in mind actually. I don't hunt javelina with a rifle, but a handloaded 30-06 would work fine.

• Like 1

Just one. Tough. Since I always take at least 3 rifles on a hunt.

But, toss up between my .280AI & 7RM. Plenty of bullet for elk out to 800+, but not total overkill for Coues or even javalina. Great BC bullets available. Good factory ammo available. The 7RM ammo is available at almost any Walmart, gun store, and even small towns. The .280AI is less available, but not a wildcat any longer.

.280AI by Axisworks

R700 LA BDL

Fluted bolt, alloy bolt shroud, TI firing pin, CF bolt knob

26" Proof Sendero light 1:9" plus 3 port Hawkins brake

Manners EH1 in Black Forest camo

Shilen Match trigger @ 1.5#

Rem factory alloy bottom metal

Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny rail

Seekins alloy 30mm medium rings

March F 3-24×52

8lbs 13oz all in

175 Berger Elite @ 2975fps

160 TMK @ 2910fps (for varmints and steel/paper)

145 Barnes LRX @ 3145fps

7RM built by Phx Custom Rifles

R700 LA BDL

Alloy shorty tac knob

26" Bartlein #3b fluted 1:8.5" w. APA Micro Bastard brake

Manners EH2 in GAP camo

Timney CE @ 10oz

Rem factory alloy bottom metal

Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny rail

Seekins alloy 34mm low rings

S&B PMII 3-20×50

10lbs 6oz (IIRC) all in

180 Hybrid @ 2996fps (working on a load w. 184 Hybrid @ 3060ish)

168 Barnes LRX @ 3065fps

Both of these rifles are fully capable of .3MOA out to 900+ yards. Plenty for hunting.

Both are light enough to carry all day in the mountains, but have enough mass to make longer shots accurately. Not an ultralight sub 7# sheep rifle, but not a 14# LR or tactical rifle either. A fair trade for a hunting rifle. Both should get 1100-1500 rounds of barrel life, and could last a year, or a lifetime depending on how.much you shoot.

Thank goodness I should never have to pick just one.

If you made me choose one rifle it would be my 3006 spr. ammo is everywhere, and it just works. I used a 7mm rem. for 25 years and a 300 win. for almost the same amount of time and just dont see any difference in its ability to drop game cleanly. I just built a 280 AI for a long range rifle that I can pack into really rough country, since I always take two rifles with me when hunting.

• Like 2

My thoughts for one rifle to do it all, are that there will be some non-optimums on either end of the spectrum: too much for the smaller game, and not enough for the buffalo. Consequently, I would rather skew the chambering choice to be adequate for larger mammals, rather than being marginal. Sure, elk have been taken with a 243 or 6.5CM, but I would prefer more bullet fontal area and mass. Thus, my preference is based on the larger critters and would for a 30 cal. Granted, it would be overkill on javelina and Coues though. The 300WSM and 300 WM are pretty much ballistically equal and I have used both for elk, black bear, mule deer, or Sitka blacktail with no hiccups. I had a Kimber Select in 300 WSM, but the recoil was sharp and unpleasant in that light rifle. My HS Precision in 300WSM is much more tolerable.

Chambering: 300 WSM. The 300 WSM has good availability of brass and factory ammo. It has enough velocity for decent bullet expansion out to 700-800 yards. There is a very good assortment of bullets for handloading to suit the game, including copper bullets for north of the Colorado River or if one has lead ingestion concerns.

Barrel: 24" 1in10" twist, sporter contour, threaded for a suppressor.

Action: Win 70

Bullets: 150/168/180 Badlands Bulldozer, LRX/TTSX, 180 Scirocco/Accubond

Stock: Winchester Super Grade. I prefer the aesthetics and feel of nicely checkered and figured walnut, shadowline cheek-piece and ebony fore-end. The grip and wrist are closed and thin enough for me. I have a Kimber Classic Select and the grip is slightly too open for prone and bipod.

Scope: Nightforce SHV 4-14x Forceplex Illuminated

Probably looking at around 10 pounds for the above set-up. Looks like I am talking myself into a new rifle too. The idea of a 280AI is calling since my first rifle was a Rem 700 in 7mmExpress, so it may be nice to go full circle.

• Like 1

My thoughts for one rifle to do it all, are that there will be some non-optimums on either end of the spectrum: too much for the smaller game, and not enough for the buffalo. Consequently, I would rather skew the chambering choice to be adequate for larger mammals, rather than being marginal. Sure, elk have been taken with a 243 or 6.5CM, but I would prefer more bullet fontal area and mass. Thus, my preference is based on the larger critters and would for a 30 cal. Granted, it would be overkill on javelina and Coues though. The 300WSM and 300 WM are pretty much ballistically equal and I have used both for elk, black bear, mule deer, or Sitka blacktail with no hiccups. I had a Kimber Select in 300 WSM, but the recoil was sharp and unpleasant in that light rifle. My HS Precision in 300WSM is much more tolerable.

Chambering: 300 WSM. The 300 WSM has good availability of brass and factory ammo. It has enough velocity for decent bullet expansion out to 700-800 yards. There is a very good assortment of bullets for handloading to suit the game, including copper bullets for north of the Colorado River or if one has lead ingestion concerns.

Barrel: 24" 1in10" twist, sporter contour, threaded for a suppressor.

Action: Win 70

Bullets: 150/168/180 Badlands Bulldozer, LRX/TTSX, 180 Scirocco/Accubond

Stock: Winchester Super Grade. I prefer the aesthetics and feel of nicely checkered and figured walnut, shadowline cheek-piece and ebony fore-end. The grip and wrist are closed and thin enough for me. I have a Kimber Classic Select and the grip is slightly too open for prone and bipod.

Scope: Nightforce SHV 4-14x Forceplex Illuminated

Probably looking at around 10 pounds for the above set-up. Looks like I am talking myself into a new rifle too. The idea of a 280AI is calling since my first rifle was a Rem 700 in 7mmExpress, so it may be nice to go full circle.

A 280 rem. was the first rifle I bought myself, a beat up old 700 adl. Shot a truck load of deer with it, then the barrel went south.

• Like 1