John O

Javelina and Mountain Lions

So I found a pretty good spot for my son to hunt Javelina for his Jr. Hunt. Went out with my boys, and tracked them and felt pretty confident in our location. Went back last week for one last scout, and low and behold there were mountain lion tracks all around the area that the herd was bedding down. It also seemed that there were several places where a struggle had occurred. From what my friend told me (who has seen the herd several times), there are anywhere from 8 to 15 javelina in this group at any one time, and the tracks show at least 3 little ones. The question I have is, do mountain lions generally go after Javelina? I know coyotes don't mess with them much, but it sure seemed something in the dynamics of this group has changed since seeing these tracks. Also, my friend has not seen the herd in a couple of weeks.

So your question is . Is a lion sick enough to eat a javalina ? Yes they would if they had no other choices left and i mean even eating its own leg would be a better choice. HAHA. It sounds like the pigs are hanging low do this unwanted guest.

Lions eat A LOT of javalina! Definitely!!

Lions eat A LOT of javalina! Definitely!!

And coyotes DO chase javelinas. I watched two of them disembowel a sow years ago. They kept biting its belly as they chased her down a hill. Her intestines snagged brush and she went down. They were on her in an instant. I was bowhunting and this happened across a canyon or I would have shot them. The noise that pig and coyotes made was something else.

Bill Quimby

I have had alot of luck in the past finding javelina by walking up coyote howls in the early morning or late afternoon. In the area I hunt the pigs are constantly being chased around by coyotes. I think there is a lion in the area too this year. I have found 3 deer skulls and 1 dead javelina. All the deer have been bucks. How common are lions in the flat desert areas?

So I found a pretty good spot for my son to hunt Javelina for his Jr. Hunt. Went out with my boys, and tracked them and felt pretty confident in our location. Went back last week for one last scout, and low and behold there were mountain lion tracks all around the area that the herd was bedding down. It also seemed that there were several places where a struggle had occurred. From what my friend told me (who has seen the herd several times), there are anywhere from 8 to 15 javelina in this group at any one time, and the tracks show at least 3 little ones. The question I have is, do mountain lions generally go after Javelina? I know coyotes don't mess with them much, but it sure seemed something in the dynamics of this group has changed since seeing these tracks. Also, my friend has not seen the herd in a couple of weeks.

Make sure to pack a gun for that lion as well!

I kille my lion on a Javelina hunt, the day after I killed my pig. Killed the pig with my .223, ran back to the truck and got my 270 to kill the lion! Good thing that .270 followed me from home to camp.

I have had alot of luck in the past finding javelina by walking up coyote howls in the early morning or late afternoon. In the area I hunt the pigs are constantly being chased around by coyotes. I think there is a lion in the area too this year. I have found 3 deer skulls and 1 dead javelina. All the deer have been bucks. How common are lions in the flat desert areas?

When I say flat area, the pigs are out in the flats, but there are some hills and a small mountain range within 3/4 of a mile. There is also quite a bit of cattle in the area, which means water. When I tracked the herd, I noticed litle tracks, maybe 2 or 3 babies. I would guess that would be an easy kill. Either way, I have a couple of other good spots in case it doesn't pan out.

most lions die after eatin' a javelina tho. not from the javelina. from bleedin' to death after lickin' their but with that rough ol' tongue, tryin' to get the taste outta their mouth. Lark.

Pops and I saw a lion die after trying to eat a Javelina. We watched the stalk, the fight, and then watched as the pigs kicked the lions butt and pushed him right up to 7 yards in front of us! After the smoke cleared from the .50 caliber smokepole the lion was ours ;) The pigs were woofing and the baby was squealing like crazy as they followed the lion up out of the canyon and into our lap. JIM>

Pops and I saw a lion die after trying to eat a Javelina. We watched the stalk, the fight, and then watched as the pigs kicked the lions butt and pushed him right up to 7 yards in front of us! After the smoke cleared from the .50 caliber smokepole the lion was ours ;) The pigs were woofing and the baby was squealing like crazy as they followed the lion up out of the canyon and into our lap. JIM>

Awesome!! Jim, you are going to have to write a book that is a collection of some of your most unusual sightings like this one and the sharing-your-water-bottle-with-an-elk story.

hehehe

Amanda

Awesome!! Jim, you are going to have to write a book that is a collection of some of your most unusual sightings like this one and the sharing-your-water-bottle-with-an-elk story.

hehehe

Amanda

Thats an idea!

Maybe there should be a CWT.com compolation of stories. I know that would be pretty difficult though.

I'd love to hear about the sharing-your-water-bottle-with-an-elk story.

Mike

Jim- Having read many of your hunting stories, seen all the photos, and watched some of the videos, I have a suggestion that can make you really rich. Have you ever seen those reality shows on cable that have a camera man follow people around 24/7, and then the 1 hour show is the highlights of each week. I know people would pay big money for that. Or even just start small with a DVD series. You have to have some catchy name though like "Survivor Man, Redneck Style", or maybe "Wackiest Wildlife Encounters with Jimbo". Think about it. I'm sure some others here could come up with better names.

Thanks for the info. everyone. Having been around these little stinkers enough times, I can't imagine any predator taking an interest in one. However, the last one I shot, we took great care to use three sets of knives, and three sets of gloves, to keep the stank off of the meat, and it was excellent. My friend made tamales out of them. Now how many people on this planet have ever had a javelina tamale!!! Yum!

:lol: :lol: I like "Survivor Man - Redneck Style" ! I think with gettin' in a fist fight with a Coues, gettin' bit by a sidewinder, teaching a bull elk how to drink out of a water bottle, climbing in caves after pigs, finding human body parts and whatever else I've done.......that title fits perfectly! ;)

The water bottle incident happened a few years ago with a very sick spike bull that couldn't jump a fence to make it to the shade of a treeline. It was extremely hot and no water for miles so we tried splashing water on his mouth and after a while he got comfortable and took the bottle from me and drank it himself. You could tell he was feeling better and got aggressive once he found out we were out of water.........that's when he used his spikes to "help" me over the fence <_< I dropped a gate not far from where he was and left returning a while later and he was gone, appearantly making it to the trees. I think he lived to see another day ;)

feelsgood.jpg

RMEFwaterhaulingforwildlife.jpg

Here's where I showed him the bottle was empty, I told him there was no more, and he did a dog-like growl and charged! This was actually neat to see 'cause he could barely stand up when we first found him.

Iwantmore.jpg