GregRashall

Unit 10 Youth deer hunt

Unit 10 is huge.  I scouted 2 days to find 2 deer tracks.  I've never seen so much land with no deer sign.  Lots of pronghorn though. 

My son drew a youth tag for his first deer there.  Can anyone provide any advice on where to just start scouting?  I don't need any secret spots or huge deer, just want to get the kid a shot at one.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Just pm or email please wrashall@yahoo.com.  Thanks!

Behind the golf course in Williams,  and along the gas pipe line right away, we saw lots in there

• Like 1

Game and Fish always says to try Aubrey Cliffs area. I've always wanted to try out there for archery, but now the Big Bo requires permits and all that, so I lost motivation to try it.

I wouldn't doubt that the mule deer in the Flagstaff area are at an all time low right now. It's getting pretty bad out there for mule deer. I'm pretty sure that the 1000 tags found the 2 deer.

Sad how Mule deer numbers are so low in some units. We need more kitty and yote hunters............BOB!

• Like 3

I scouted for deer this year for over 75 hours in a pretty good number of units in the Flag area. I scout in prime time and cover a lot of ground.  I have done it all of my life. Out of all of the years, this year was the toughest to find bucks. 

34 minutes ago, brian390 said:

I scouted for deer this year for over 75 hours in a pretty good number of units around Flagstaff. I scout in prime time and cover a lot of ground.  I have done it all of my life. Out of all of the years, this year was the toughest to find bucks. 

Yikes. I keep wondering why there haven't been much by way of archery kills posted yet.

• Like 2

OP, maybe try easier hunts for the youngster next year.  The kaibab youth hunt has great draw odds but it's sup3r easy to fill the tag .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

OP, maybe try easier hunts for the youngster next year.  The kaibab youth hunt has great draw odds but it's sup3r easy to fill the tag .

Yea I know you're right.  I didn't research it first - I know there are deer in some of the surrounding units, and it was hard to find a hunt during my son's fall break.  Now it's gonna bite me probably.

11 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Behind the golf course in Williams,  and along the gas pipe line right away, we saw lots in there

Thanks!  I'll look for the course.  I did check the pipeline for several miles, but found no sign.  I'l take a harder look.

8 hours ago, Sneaker said:

Game and Fish always says to try Aubrey Cliffs area. I've always wanted to try out there for archery, but now the Big Bo requires permits and all that, so I lost motivation to try it.

Thanks!  I'm going to take a look there.  Of course, the Aubry Cliffs look like they're 20 miles long, but hopefully I can find the right spot.

4 hours ago, naturebob said:

Sad how Mule deer numbers are so low in some units. We need more kitty and yote hunters............BOB!

Yea I was riding down 66 by the Aubry Cliffs and stopped to watch some pronghorn right after a rain.  A large dark reddish coyote stepped out, and I was thinking he didn't look right...then he walked over a two track and stopped to look back at me broadside.  He looked to be the size of my lab, and I'm not kidding.  He disappeared before I could get the spotting scope on him.

I did see quite a few coyotes (none looked like the red one though) so I will be taking the rifle with me next weekend.  I'll grab a lion tag also.

7 hours ago, brian390 said:

I wouldn't doubt that the mule deer in the Flagstaff area are at an all time low right now. It's getting pretty bad out there for mule deer. I'm pretty sure that the 1000 tags found the 2 deer.

I'm hearing some units up there have a bow hunter every 50 yards from someone I know.  Maybe they saw another deer.

• Like 1