GTIMANiac

coyote busting dove

Great video

1 hour ago, Mr. Natural said:

Very nice, what is the drone/camera setup?

That was a DJI Phantom Pro 4 v2. We were actually fling three different drones at the time a Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro 2 and the Phantom. But only I only published video from the one drone.

14 hours ago, GTIMANiac said:

That was a DJI Phantom Pro 4 v2. We were actually fling three different drones at the time a Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro 2 and the Phantom. But only I only published video from the one drone.

Which one would you recommend of the 3? I have been in the drone market for awhile now and haven’t pulled the trigger.  

Great video by the way! 

1 hour ago, GJMauro12 said:

Which one would you recommend of the 3? I have been in the drone market for awhile now and haven’t pulled the trigger.  

Great video by the way! 

The Mavic Pro or the Mavic Pro 2. Since they're foldable they're easy to pack for scouting trips. The Mavic was release almost two years ago and the new and used prices are very reasonable. Some reasons to get the new Mavic Pro 2 are 1" CMOS Camera so better low light shooting (think 40mm versus 50mm objective on your binos or scope). The new version also has obstacle avoidance on all sides and ever so slightly longer flight time but is almost twice the price of previous version.

For pure scouting trips, camping, backpacking I would stick to the Mavic Pro. Watch for specials or even pick up a used Mavic, you can get them for 799 time to time and I would think pretty soon they would want to blow them out. I may want t sell mine soon.

I use some software from Maps Made Easy to do some detailed scouting of new areas. Here was a test I am willing to share. The odd colored area is the map that was shot with my drone. https://www.mapsmadeeasy.com/maps/public/3e55fe62b9cd44bbb61c9f4711197b35

Edited by GTIMANiac
add link to maps made easy

Thad’s awesome, thanks for the write up. My cousin has bought and sold about a dozen of them from offer up to test them out. The Mavic is the one he has been suggesting to me but I wanted to hear it from someone that hunts. I don’t know how much I will end up using it but I would like to get a birds eye look at the areas that I always hunt at least once.