Sign in to follow this  
missedagain

bogus points for lope

Wondering if anyone knows how many pts you had to have to get a tag in the max pt round for 10/18 archery lope last year.

appreciate the info., I want to hunt antelope sooooo bad this year. Its been 9 years since I had my last archery tag (I was 14) but stupid me didn't have the money six years ago to apply so I just finally got my loyalty point

Can you swing a Wyoming hunt? There a few areas that you can draw every year. AZ antelope is getting too tough to draw and is not near the quality of hunt it used to be- imho.

Bogus Points is Correct. I have 15 of them. What is the maximum?

According to the hunt az book I downloaded from azgfd, 27 individuals went into the 2007 draw with 19 bonus points. I would assume almost half of those yokuls purchased a bonus point and will have 20 pts going into the 2008 fall draw.

There were only 757 other hunters with 14 BP, like you, going into the 2007 draw. I'm sure that number is down to 725 by now.

Looking for NM and/or WY speedgoat tags this year...

I won't be able to do a wyoming hunt this year :( , but hopefully sometime very soon

Can you swing a Wyoming hunt? There a few areas that you can draw every year. AZ antelope is getting too tough to draw and is not near the quality of hunt it used to be- imho.

Holy Buckets of Bouncing Bear Sh....... 19 Bogus Points. I thought I had it bad..... OH well, perhaps this is the year I draw my Lopeagoat tag..... (As the song dream on plays quietly in the background.) <_<

According to the hunt az book I downloaded from azgfd, 27 individuals went into the 2007 draw with 19 bonus points.

According to my bonus point analysis report, the max last year was 18. Don Martin is also saying the max was 18. I downloaded the Hunt AZ and it said 19BP (as you noted). Hmmmmm???? I have 18 this year for antelope.

ok, where in the heck do you get this bonus point deal? i want one. i've had one stinkin' goat tag in Az. in 39 years of applying. and that was 13 years ago. with the hunters safety and dead-icated hunter point i guess i'll have 16 next year. is that right? i better get a tag or there is gonna be heck to pay. i ain't gonna take it anymore. i've had it!!!!...........ok, i'm sorry. there i go bein' wrong again. i sure would like to get one more goat tag while i can still walk. anybody got this new directors address so's i can send him a fruit basket? good luck. Lark.

According to the hunt az book I downloaded from azgfd, 27 individuals went into the 2007 draw with 19 bonus points.

According to my bonus point analysis report, the max last year was 18. Don Martin is also saying the max was 18. I downloaded the Hunt AZ and it said 19BP (as you noted). Hmmmmm???? I have 18 this year for antelope.

I was hoping you would jump in with better numbers! I don't have the bonus point report. Maybe the hunt az book has the wrong years in it? I was just going by those headers in the hunt az book which show column A as being the results of 2006 fall draw and column B which shows 27 hunters going into the 2007 Fall draw with 19 BP (and 207 with 18 BP). Since we are now applying for the 2008 Fall Draw, I ASSumed that there would be some with 20 BP. I would expect at least a small percentage of 234 hunters would have bought a BP in 2007. It also shows that only 2 hunters had 18 BP for ELK in 2006 and they BOTH bought a BP. But, there isn't an early rifle hunt rotation for antelope, so maybe that would be the difference there. The Survey, harvest, & hunt data all ends with 2006 numbers, so I think that is consistent (as in old) with the column headers in the bonus point tables. If I had to guess, I would think I'm right. But, I've guessed that and been wrong before! ;) Your data SHOULD be better than the free crap they hand out! Does it account for all of those applicants?

I probably got what I paid for...

--Chris

I have 8 BPs.... I think. Anyone with a ton of points want to put in with a realy good guy that has antelope field judging experience???? :rolleyes: :D

Thanks!

CnS

Doug, I think 19 is max this year. I'll be looking for info to make sure. I have 15 and most likely going onto 16...

Lark,

I purchased the report from G&F for about $25. I think they may put this data on pdf format next year. Unless you have max points and have a chance to draw in the 20% bonus pass, the odds are terrible for rifle antelope. The report says there are only 4 or 6 that have 19 BP (and 150 with 17BP) for speedgoats this year (which is diff than what the HuntAZ book says)

Doug

Lark,

I purchased the report from G&F for about $25. I think they may put this data on pdf format next year. Unless you have max points and have a chance to draw in the 20% bonus pass, the odds are terrible for rifle antelope. The report says there are only 4 or 6 that have 19 BP (and 150 with 17BP) for speedgoats this year (which is diff than what the HuntAZ book says)

Doug

Lets face it, Doug..... all the BPs do is give us hope, and not much else. :( Guys with no points will still draw tags..... <_< It has happened to me and I was happy, but the fact is that the BP system does not work very well. <_< I hope I Never have "max" or the "most" BPs for anything...... And I wish the same for all of you.... not being drawn for that long is just plain Wrong! :(

Lark,

Doug

Lets face it, Doug..... all the BPs do is give us hope, and not much else. :( Guys with no points will still draw tags..... <_< It has happened to me and I was happy, but the fact is that the BP system does not work very well. <_< I hope I Never have "max" or the "most" BPs for anything...... And I wish the same for all of you.... not being drawn for that long is just plain Wrong! :(

Yup I have a friend that pulled the speed goat rifle tag first year putting in. "your just playing the lottery" any lucky

S.O.B. can pull a tag.

Gino,

For sheep and antelope, the draw odds are so low and random that it does appear that BP make little difference, unless one is in the 20% bonus pass. For elk and deer, where there are more tags, one can see a trend in greater draw odds for those with more BP. I think that putting in the 20% bonus pass has helped a lot for those at the top that are unlucky in the draw. Too bad this was not instituted years earlier when the BP program began.

Some things that might improve the draw situation would be to make the BP exponential, squaring the number of BP like in Nevada, or even raising them to the 1.5 power.

A second thing would be to split the sought after NR tags so that half are available in the 20% pass, and the other half in the regular draw so those NR without max points can still have a chance to draw.

Some think that BP don't work at all and they should be abandoned. Using unit 7W rifle elk as an example. 1757 people applied first choice last year for 450 tags. This gives each person a 25.6% chance statistically to draw if there are no BP

With the BP system the draw % was 2, 5, 11, 15, 20, 17, 56, 56, 27, 50, 67, 100% for BP=0 to 12 respectively. As you can see, the draw odds increased with more BP. Those unlucky in the draw for several years did benefit.

It would be nice if everyone could draw every year, but after the first year, I would hate to see 65,000 hunters trying to shoot the last two remaining pronghorn the second year. That said, I still think the direction of more opportunity is short sighted and that the game populations will suffer after a few years, and hunters will become disenchanted with the crowded fields and fewer bucks&bulls. They may have screamed they really want a chance to hunt during the fabled survey, but after they got their wish what will they scream? Will G&F do a post survey to judge the desire of the hunters after a few years.? Will they conduct a hunt satisfaction survey from those drawn in the early Oct and Nov hunters that had the increased tags?

Doug,

Thanks for sharing that information. I went back and re-re-reread that stupid Hunt Az booklet. It says, "For antelope and elk, the tables are a summary of group bonus points resulting from the 2007 Fall Draw (Section A) and individual bonus points going into the 2008 Fall Draw (Section B)." So, I was stupidly trusting the table headers. I also figured that the draw started in 1991, which was 17 draws ago + 1 hunter ed, +1 loyalty point = 19 pts. I also did some quick math and the numbers your report are stating have 19 & 18 BP are the number of hunters I calculated that were not drawn last year. That is not counting those that bought a bonus point.

Sorry for the formatting or lack of.

2007 Draw

BP_Grp #Htrs Bot_BP %_BotBP Apps %drawn #Drawn #Not

17 269 57 21.2% 212 29.30% 62 150

18 51 23 45.1% 28 85.70% 24 4

2008 Draw

BP_Grp #Htrs

18 207

19 27

In the AZ Hunt book, they told us how many APPS there were (28) and what portion of that group was drawn, so we can figure out how many were drawn (28*85.7=24). So, 28 apps, less 24 draws, = 4 apps not drawn. Then they told us how many HUNTERS there were going into 2008 (27). So, there were 23 (27-4 not drawn) hunters that bought a BP. So, there were a total of 51 hunters that had 18 BP going into 2007. It works out pretty much the same for the 17 BP group - 269 hunters going in, 62 drawn, 150 not drawn, 57 bought a BP. The math may be slightly flawed because some hunters may not have put in at all and their BP didn't change. I figure at 17, 18 BP level, that happens less than at the lower BP levels.

Coues 'n' Sheep, I agree with you. I guess I shouldn't admit to having 7 tags in a row. But, 6 of them were archery and those tags were pretty easy to get back then. And I have 12 BP, so I guess it's obvious that was a while ago.

Thanks!

My Dad has 18 this year--he has not taken the hunter safety class so he is out one point. I will put him in for unit 10 first choice and then another not so coveted unit after that--he is 73 and he can't get around the way he used to--if he doesn't draw in the next two years he will probably not be able to get out there at all--nope, sometimes you have to put in for another unit that isn't so coveted to get a tag.

I can tell you this though--the second unit he is getting put in for has a 90" buck in it (or it did after the season last year)and i think i can get him on him at first light if he gets a tag--i hope he doesn't mind sleeping on the ground!! :-)

The old man can hit anything he wants out to 500 yards and in this area we should get him with-in 300 at least.

Good luck all of you on the draw--i can tell you that killing a monster antelope sticks with you forever and it border lines on the feeling that some sheep hunters talk about.

later!!