Sign in to follow this  
Camo

Please define "desert units" in AZ

Apparently I should have been more specific regarding target species. A border unit Coues deer hunt has been on my bucket list for a number of years. Four days of travel leaves me five days to scout with a bow. Hoping to get in a couple solo stalks within a 24 hour drive, I felt mule deer might give me a little more opportunity? However, recent research has indicated there is decent Coues populations stretching a long ways north of those border units. Recognizing the two species utilize slightly different terrain/elevation, I would be ecstatic with an opportunity at either. 

1 hour ago, Camo said:

Apparently I should have been more specific regarding target species. A border unit Coues deer hunt has been on my bucket list for a number of years. Four days of travel leaves me five days to scout with a bow. Hoping to get in a couple solo stalks within a 24 hour drive, I felt mule deer might give me a little more opportunity? However, recent research has indicated there is decent Coues populations stretching a long ways north of those border units. Recognizing the two species utilize slightly different terrain/elevation, I would be ecstatic with an opportunity at either. 

Just a quick heads up.....stalking and driving can be problematic :) best of luck to you on you hunt......bring warm gear for cold weather!!!

8 hours ago, CouesPursuit said:

If I get what you're asking and was to be a snobby native for a second, it depends on which species of deer you're after.

Not a distinguishable subspecies, but I've always thought Arizona "Desert Mule Deer" deserve some type of designation after living where they do and as old as they can. I picture saguaro/ocotillos with creosote/mesquite/paloverde habitat, somewhere near a dry wash that sees water as often as I do a deer season.

Coues are coues, and Flatlanders post summed up the units well.

Burro bucks.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Just a quick heads up.....stalking and driving can be problematic :) best of luck to you on you hunt......bring warm gear for cold weather!!!

Non-Typical, appreciate the warning, but could I get you to expand on that? I have been spot checking the weather in various spots the last two weeks and it looks a little cooler with more precipitation in the form of both rain and snow, than I had initially expected. Is this a normal year in that regard? Are you suggesting that with the moisture that the roads get swampy and limit a lot of access? I have been in eastern Montana and Wyoming when it got wet and those places are no joke, but typically dry out reasonably quick.

I remember when you posted this like yesterday. I couldn’t believe someone could be deer hunting and killing stuff in that weather 

3 minutes ago, longshooter said:

This is my definition of a desert buck

August 2007 in 20C  116*

32B7F7B4-3D11-4CA4-9C07-3E2098E74F5C.jpeg

18 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

Well to be honest.

19degrees in the desert

vs

19degrees In the mountains

you will notice the desert unit right away. 

Lol wut?

• Like 1