Sign in to follow this  
blaserman

What Caliber is most commonly used

The 7mm 08 has dumped everything from Bulls to javy's for my daughters all with no tracking involved.

Its an awesome round but with any round its shot placement. I have had to track animals that were shot with the .270

30.06 and many others but it all depends on who's shooting and where its hit.

Just shoot what fits you but STAY CLEAR of the .270......Troy

:P Just for you lark.... :lol:

"bullet diameter and weight does not make up for poor hits. (unless it's a 7mm/08) i have an old remington mohawk 600 .243 that has killed more deer than mountain lions. with my kids shootin' it. 100 gr hornadys work real well. i've never seen a well placed shot with "any" center fire that resulted in a lost deer. some may go a little farther than others, but they never go very far and they spray enough blood out they ain't hard to find. deer ain't that big. even big old muleys. it's real simple, if you hit one in the lungs, they die. any centerfire hits harder and does more damage than any arrow. and a bow is real deadly, if you hit em right. here are the rules, just so you guys don't get confused:"

Again I can't disagree with you, Lark (except for the comment about the 7mm/008 :) ). My .243 also is a Mohawk 600 and it's killed maybe 20 deer here and in Texas. It's been said before, but everything in shooting game animals boils down to bullet placement. In the right hands, a .22 rimfire will take anything that walks in North America.

Bill Quimby

see, even bill knows i'm right, so i must be right. wait, refer to rule #1. i'm always right. i thought i was wrong once, but found out later that i was right. 7mm/08's are ok, for girls, i guess. to me, ownin' one would be sorta like how sometimes you have a relative that you wish you didn't have and you don't want folks to know that you're actually related to the guy and if you're ever with em you hope nobody you know sees ya. i mean some guys, like me, like horsepower, speed, good looks, classy lines, like a corvette or a .270 and some guys like, well, miatas. Lark.

My understanding of the question is what is the most popular caliber, not what do you think is the best. So to answer the question, in my hunting circles, the 300 mag is the most popular by far followed by a handful of the 7mm's (a few 7mm mags, a 7mm STW, couple 7mm ultra mag and a couple 7mm short mags). The other straglers use a 270SM, 280, 243 and a couple 2506's. All get it done for the guys that put the shot where it needs to be.

My understanding of the question is what is the most popular caliber, not what do you think is the best. So to answer the question, in my hunting circles, the 300 mag is the most popular by far followed by a handful of the 7mm's (a few 7mm mags, a 7mm STW, couple 7mm ultra mag and a couple 7mm short mags). The other straglers use a 270SM, 280, 243 and a couple 2506's. All get it done for the guys that put the shot where it needs to be.

GET HIM LARK :o

he did not say 270 :o

Good luck Flash :(

:P

It was just Curiosity , I thought it was the .300 class and the 7 mm class because of the flat shooting and bullet weights.

I guess I'll throw my $0.02 out there and say that I like to shoot what ever I have that I feel comfortable with. that said I have shot a couple of coues with my 22-250 with 55 grain trophy bonded bullets but my favorite is my 6MM it served me well this year and in several years past. I hope no one here has heard of my legendary shooting/ missing ;) and as far as your " .270 war" goes, I sure do like it, just dont have one of my own yet.

coyotekid

If I could have only one rifle, and could hunt only Arizona mule deer or whitetials with it, it would be a .25 caliber -- .257 Roberts (standard or improved), .257 Weatherby or a .25/06. The .243 or 6 mm would be my second choice.

Bill Quimby

If I could have only one rifle, and could hunt only Arizona mule deer or whitetials with it, it would be a .25 caliber -- .257 Roberts (standard or improved), .257 Weatherby or a .25/06. The .243 or 6 mm would be my second choice.

Bill Quimby

Bill is right.....25-06 is the BEST :P

I have 2 Remington 600s in 6mm Remington. I think that cartridge is perfect for Coues.

I also like the .270 Winchester but think it's too much gun and it doesn't shoot any flatter.

I might sell one of the 6mms though :rolleyes: