Sign in to follow this  
Moejt619

Vet hunting first time ever Unit 8 AZ

I don't keep guns around anymore. My wife bought me a bow last Valentines day. I'm completely hooked and going on my first trip with a friend to Unit 8 in Arizona. I've searched threads, watched a ton of YouTube videos. I have no expectations other than enjoying the woods and escaping the rat race for a week. I've noticed this site has decent guys that give info to new guys sometimes. Can anybody please point me in the right direction or give some tips? So far I've found people talking about 

Whitehorse Lake & Glass Canyon, Southern areas near the Verde, Cedars near Drake and Pine Flats, The Sultana and Rd11 & Elk Mountain.

Anything would be awesome. If not no worries. I'll put the time in, in the bush either way.

Happy Holidays

OTC tag? Or troll post?  Serious question. Good advice available on this site. AZGFD where to hunt is a great starter. Not at all familiar with glass canyon, but I don’t name the fingers I’ve hiked and have kicked my butt. Great 3 point genetic that will produce a 140-160” deer in the areas I know, but not willing to give that up to just anyone. 

I get it. No worries. OTC Deer. Thinking about getting a bear tag just in case. I don't know if it's worth it. Leaving day after Christmas. I'm all over OnX free trial right now. I checked out that where to hunt. I've checked all the sites people suggest. I'm putting together a list and trying to make an order. I'd like to hike in for the whole week and not have to go back to the truck and keep trying spots. Our first stop is Sycamore Canyon and then I'm thinking parking off the 89 and heading west to the Tule Basin Hells Pocket area. I have a big pack and MRE's. I'll keep going till I find something. 

I was up there this afternoon to check some cams and take the pulse of the area (how many hunters are up there).  I left my bow at home.  DUMB!  Had a nice muley buck teasing me.  

In 8, if you want to separate yourself from other hunters, dropping into a canyon is a good way to do that.  Otherwise, there are roads on darn near every ridge and down every draw.

STC_0034 (1).JPG

In 8, bucks like this are usually common place, but this year they are a little bit harder to find.  This guy. though, has spent the last three weeks running a herd right next to the road and is watching cars drive by all day long.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips Sourdough. We’re going unit 8 because my buddy is a little partial to it. He’s had good luck out of there. I’m pushing the bivouac camping style and this spot is in the middle. We can get semi close with the truck and just get in 3-5 to camp and if anything goes wrong, the truck Isn’t that far. Baby steps. My buddy hasn’t camped like that. He’s always had a camper or drove home each evening and this is my first hunt but I’ve done tons of bivy style living out of my ruck. Looking forward to it. Going to be a little chilly at night. Happy Holidays Guys

Welcome to CWT, I think you have a solid plan. I'm not familiar with eight but MT_Sourdough gave some good advice so be sure to post some pictures of your adventure.

Don't know how glassable 8 is but my best advice is always glass off a tripod with the nicest pair of 12s or 15s you can afford. Glass open southeast slopes early then start glassing bedding areas (northwest slopes) about 9 to 10am then just keep glassing the shade or sit water mid day. Look up old glassing threads.