Sign in to follow this  
ultramag

camp trailer

Any one got one of these? and how do you like them.They look cool and you can tow with a 1/2 ton truck abd put a quad in the front or ice chest or what ever you want. looking for some feedback.

thanks bryan.

post-467-1203472499.jpg

Bryan, thought you were going back to the tent and open sighted 30-30?

I never said open sighted 30/30. I am just trying to make things a little easier when I go. instead of the train I am towing now.

Seems one would need to back off the atv to set up the tent trailer if one decides to "camp" on the side of the road while enroute. A small travel trailer would provide more insulation in cold weather. One could extend the tongue and put a platform in front of the trailer for the atv if necessary.

I had a starcraft 13rt which is similar to that one but a little bigger. I loved mine and regret selling it. Look at the starcraft they are worth the money IMO. I originally had a 1/2 ton suburban with a 6 inch lift and it would tow the trailer fairly well until you hit the hills and even then it did pretty well. They tow like a dream. I also liked mine because it would go virtually anywhere and had more ground clearance than my truck!

I have a 5th wheel now. Its just a ton of work to go for just the weekend. Where this thing would fit in the garage and can be towed with a 1/2 ton truck and this thing has some ground clearance to get away from the crowds a little.

I got the 10C model (its camo). It is my second pop up. Not sure what info your looking for, but if you are in the market for a pop up, its the way to go. It's built good, but some material is not up to my expectations.

The suspension makes going over rocky roads great, it has more clearance than my truck so it will go many places. It pulls great on the highway. It has an inside and outside shower, hot water heater, toilet, refrig, heater, AC.... it has everything. A couple of friends have borrowed it and stated they really liked it.

We used it at Roosevelt last year during the hottest weekend of the year, the AC helped cool the kids (obviously I had a generator).

The negatives are, the canvas is not as good as my old Viking pop up, I spent a week in Colorado last year and it POURED! everything was damp, but there was so much humidity, hard to say if it was the trailer or not. It does not hold any heat at all, I used it in Jan and sometimes I thought it was colder inside than out (when the heater was not running). It is still a pop up and requires setup. I can get it up in the dark in about 20 minutes. I use an electric drill to put down the jacks and need to find one to lift the roof. I also need to modify the batteries so I can put two 6V (so the heater does not run the battery down in two nights). I talked with a guy who put two 6v and during his moose hunt the heater ran for 9 days with juice to spare.

If I had more than 1/2 ton I may of opted for a toy hauler. I got a smoking deal I paid 8k for it, the original owner paid around 14k for it less than a year before.

If you need more info, PM me. Like I said, if your in the market for a pop up, it's the way to go.

Redman

I've been eying one of those buggers for a while. I've used a small pop-trailer on my AZ elk hunt two years ago - it was great - perfect for an Arizona September above 6000ft.

The big thing I consider (since I do my away from home hunting only in the early Fall) would be a generator and an Air Conditioner! Can you get one of those things cooled down on those hot September nights down in the desert country?

We used one when I worked up in Utah to escape the rain and spend nights in when we had to and it worked out great. Like mentioned before they don't hold any heat/cold but in most conditions here in AZ the pros of something like that outway the cons for me. You can sure get to a lot of places those bigger trailers can't. If I had the money and the space i sure would buy one.

I've been eying one of those buggers for a while. I've used a small pop-trailer on my AZ elk hunt two years ago - it was great - perfect for an Arizona September above 6000ft.

The big thing I consider (since I do my away from home hunting only in the early Fall) would be a generator and an Air Conditioner! Can you get one of those things cooled down on those hot September nights down in the desert country?

In September and at night it would cool down without a problem. In July it had to be 115+ at Roosevelt Lake and with the AC on during the day, the inside probally cooled it down to 90? There was an obvious diffference from being inside and out, once the sun went down, it drastically cooled off. The only problem is in order to get a generator to handel the load of the AC I had to buy a Craftsman generator, it's noisy.... to get a Honda to power the AC I was looking at $3500. A long extension cord helps.

Redman

Fleetwood makes something similar called the E2 or E3. I purchased a Travel Trailer back in Aug of ’06. I had seen one of these pop ups and I really liked it. After I showed it to my wife, she brought me back to earth. Concerns about extreme cold and heat etc. That kind of is her job anyway, to bring me back to earth.

If I could buy another one I would buy the E3 from Fleetwood for cool weather and quick weekend hunts and stuff.

If you are looking to buy one I would recommend Ruthroff RV here in Tucson. A smaller lot where you deal with the owner directly and he can save you some real money. He always has a great selection of pop ups, new and used.

:ph34r:

I have had mine in Blythe CA on the fourth of july weekend and had the A/C running the whole time we were there and it kept at about 80deg during the heat of the day and I'm talking over 110 and humid outside! I have also had mine in the extreme cold. The heater always kept up no problem but one thing that did happen was the water froze up. That is to be expected from anything though when it is 20 degrees in the heat of the day! I have a friend of a friend that has an 06 13rt and I think he wants to sell it due to hard times at work. This is the same trailer I had it has everything including a slideout and sleeps 6 couples all on beds. The front bed is a king, the rear is a queen, and the slide out table folds into a full. They also have 36 gallons of water, indoor/outdoor showers, sink, refridge, stove, crapper, heater, and A/C. I was able to put my quad which is a foreman 450 with huge mud tires on the front deck with lots of room around the sides and underneath for more gear.

Seems one would need to back off the atv to set up the tent trailer if one decides to "camp" on the side of the road while enroute. A small travel trailer would provide more insulation in cold weather. One could extend the tongue and put a platform in front of the trailer for the atv if necessary.

Ive been thinking about extending the tongue on a regular travel trailer but was wondering how that would affect the tow-ability of the trailer. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Send Gamehauler a pm he is the guy to ask about Camp trailers he is the guy that would know.

Wouldn't the tounge weight be high with a quad way up front like that?