Sign in to follow this  
creed_az_88

did anyone decide to hunt mule deer this year

I had a general rifle tag in southern Utah. Went up and hunted the weekend of Oct 23rd. Got up there on Friday to scout and had about 2' snow around Duck Lake, and saw few tracks. Don't think we could have gotten into the area I hunted two years ago up by Panguitch Lake. So decided to head lower outside of Mt. Carmel Jct.

Opening morning I saw only hunters where we cut some big tracks in the mud on Thursday, so went to a new spot. Saturday evening I saw a parade of quads and trucks riding the roads below (guess the snow pushed the hunters lower too), and two does. Sunday morning I saw a doe and fawn. Sunday night, I went to a different glassing hill and saw about 30 deer. A friend shot about a 155" 4x4 buck that he jumped in the cedars. Got to see his stalk through the 15x binos. Right at dusk, I glassed a 4x4 coming round the mountain at 301 yards. One 180 Accubond through the top of the heart had him down in 15 yards. He's a uniform buck that scores 157" :lol:

This is only my second muley out of 6 hunts for mule deer in 24 years of hunting.

Doug/Red Rabbit

I helped a buddy glass up some couse deer in unit 8 this weekend. Seen some small bucks, no shooters. As we were packing the mules out a nice 3x3 muley ran out so we decided to take it. It was his last day. It will make for some good tamales.

Guest Ernesto C

Good looking country,nice picture and a nice buck awesome!! Thanks Doug and congratulations.

Ernesto C.

CONGRATS DOUG ON YOUR TROPHY. THE BACKGROUND OF THE PICTURE IS AWESOME!!!

IT ALMOST LOOKS LIKE A PAINTING. THAT'S COOL. EXCELLENT MULEY

DEFINITE WALL HANGER IN MY BOOK.

ALBERT

Good job Doug,

Killing a muture animal of any species is what defines a trophy for me. And it looks like you killed a fine Utah mule deer buck.

Congratulations.

Mike

Doug,

Great buck! What neat beautiful country to hunt! Congratulations. Thanks for sharing the pic.

What an awesome buck Doug! Couldn't ask for a better backdrop for a pic. Congrats!

Looks like the country off the west side of Hwy 9 off the Barracks Ledge just above the Virgin River. Nice buck, congratulations.

Those sandstone mesas sure were pretty to hunt around and made for good glassing spots. Hunters in camp that were there two years ago said they saw a lot more deer this year, probably because of the snow up top. I was glad it rained alot before the hunt, because driving on that sand when it is dry may have lead to a few stuck situations.

I saw pics yesterday of a nice nontypical muley taken in unit 27 by a hunter from Flag who backpacked in several miles.

Doug/Red Rabbit