4Falls

fall-away rests

I have a Spotthogg Whammy and a Guide Series Drop Zone if anyone is interested. The drop zone has some wear but still functions perfectly. Its camo. The Whammy is pretty much new.

Jeff

Interesred in the WHAMMY...PM sent

I don't remember the one I shoot But I was told by a Pro shop owner that a fall away has too many moving parts and at that one time you need everything perfact it will fail somehow....So I bought some other prong rest kinda like the bisket!

Actually, most fall away rests are no more complicated than a conventional tm style rest (two prong). A two prong actually needs to have the spring tension tuned, while a fall away doesnt. There are also some of the some problems that both style of rests share, like getting stuff in the moving parts. The only extra piece added to most fall aways is a cord and they are easily changed and last a long time, look at a srting loop, it is made out of the same material and they last a long time if your release doesnt have sharp eges.

I have made a few and bought a few different styles of drop away rests, and ALL of them have made a difference in consistancy. I have done testing by hand and shooting machine and have noticed better consistancy with both metods.

As far as which one to buy, there is a bunch out there and all (with the exception of one I tried) were well worth the money. As far as my opinion, I like the Ripcord best because I can lock it upright, and I have not had a problem with them yet (all of my bows have been equiped with them).

One more thing, about the Bowtech bows with binary cams, the imbalance is very easy to remedy and should not really be considered when purchasing a rest you really like.

Side note: it is my opinion that the only wiskers that should be on your bow is the ones under your nose at full draw, but that is a different subject all together.

Just set-up the WHAMMY and man I am impressed. At first it was confusing on how to set up. After seeking help on ARCHERYTALK.COM, it was a breeze. I was shooting bullet holes with one slight adjustment. Don't look the other way on the WHAMMY it is easier than spot-hogg makes it appear on the website. THANKS akuritone it is much appreciated :D !

Thanks for all the respones! I have been shooting the old whisker bucket, I chose it because of its simplicity. But now see the need to go fall away. Ive been lookin at the TT pronghorn and the Quicktune. Does anyone have any experience with the G5 rest?

EJ, why do you say you now see the need to go fall away???? just wondering...

Call me old fashioned, but I don't see the need for a fall away rest unless your arrows have radical helicals. More moving parts equal more noise and a greater chance for something to go wrong. I never could figure out the appeal of the whisker biscuit either, unless you were going to shoot under 30 yards or upside down. I have used a cavalier prong rest for years. I only need to tune with every string change. The rest of the year it is locked down and ready to go. No worries.

bobbyo, why so down on the whisker biscuit?

The reason I ask, as a rather un-experienced archer (only 5 years), is that I shoot the biscuit and love it. I never have to worry about any moving parts, the accuracy is great and it shoots very consistent. I did have trouble early on with fletches coming loose, but only because my bow was not set up/tuned quite right. My arrows are not fletched with radical helical veins.

I may be wrong, but it just seems like the fall away rests are the popular trend at this point, and I dont see the advantage. Somebody straighten me out on this one.

thanks,

darren

Twoguns the whisker bisquit does get the job down without a dought but the fall away rest is better for several reasons.

1. It is more consistent since there is nothing touching the fletchings and there is minimal drag along the arrow. This helps with accuarcy both at close range and especially at longer ranges (50+ yards). With the constant drag along the arrow with the bisquit you will see groupings at from 40 to 50 yards open up widely and with a fall away you wont see it as much.

2. You will have to change the bisquit because if you shoot alot the hairs in the bisquit will start to fray and cause the arrow to fly differently than before. Another thing about the bisquit is that if the fletching do not go through the same hairs it will fly slightly different and that is where you will lose accuracy down range.

Hope this helps out. I am not saying th bisquit is a bad rest but it is a rest that you will need to keep a much closer eye on.

I have been contemplating switching to a drop away rest myself. I currently use a WhiskerBisquit and am looking at the QAD Ultra Rest Pro Series HD. I have a friend who just recently put this rest on a Mathews Drenalin and the groups this guy is shooting are pretty remarkable. Do any of you out there have any experience with the QAD drop away rests?

I have a Drenalin-28.5 draw, QAD Ultra Rest Pro Series HD, shooting blazers with XT hunters. I haven't had any problems with contact with the blazers. This rig shoots great. What's nice about the QAD is the rest doesn't fall down when you reset the arrow. They all have there strong points, this one works well for me. Good luck

Twoguns the whisker bisquit does get the job down without a dought but the fall away rest is better for several reasons.

1. It is more consistent since there is nothing touching the fletchings and there is minimal drag along the arrow. This helps with accuarcy both at close range and especially at longer ranges (50+ yards). With the constant drag along the arrow with the bisquit you will see groupings at from 40 to 50 yards open up widely and with a fall away you wont see it as much.

2. You will have to change the bisquit because if you shoot alot the hairs in the bisquit will start to fray and cause the arrow to fly differently than before. Another thing about the bisquit is that if the fletching do not go through the same hairs it will fly slightly different and that is where you will lose accuracy down range.

Hope this helps out. I am not saying th bisquit is a bad rest but it is a rest that you will need to keep a much closer eye on.

Christian hit the nail on the head. I wore my WB out until it was starting to fray and I didnt have luck with accuracy ( I am not the best archery shot at all, so I need all the help I can get!)

I switched to a Rip Cord fall away with my gift cards from Xmas and I love it!

Christian hit the nail on the head. I wore my WB out until it was starting to fray and I didnt have luck with accuracy ( I am not the best archery shot at all, so I need all the help I can get!)

It's not like the Whisker Biscuit Arrow Rest fails or wears out in one day, the WB can show some wear over time, but one KNOWS this is happening (a replacement disk is $20.00 and takes a minute to install). Drop away rests are very reliable but they DO fail without notice. One must fell comfortable with their equipment (this depends on the person). I used the logic of, which is worse, failing without notice, or knowing something is sloooooooowly wearing out.

There is a reason why the WB is the most widely sold rest and it's design drastically changed archery equipment... it's simply the best hunting rest there is.

Redman

It's not like the Whisker Biscuit Arrow Rest fails or wears out in one day, the WB can show some wear over time, but one KNOWS this is happening (a replacement disk is $20.00 and takes a minute to install). Drop away rests are very reliable but they DO fail without notice. One must fell comfortable with their equipment (this depends on the person). I used the logic of, which is worse, failing without notice, or knowing something is sloooooooowly wearing out.

There is a reason why the WB is the most widely sold rest and it's design drastically changed archery equipment... it's simply the best hunting rest there is.

Redman

Good to hear all the vaying opinions and experiences. I have to agree with you Redman, that each of us has to settle on what we feel most comfortable with. I guess that is why I shoot the WB...it works for me and I have never had a failure or problem with it. My experience has been all positive. I am sure that the drag along the arrow is a factor, just dont believe its too much. I also think that they will wear out over time, but have found that it is easy to replace every couple years.

Also, with the speed of my new Switchback XT LD, I am able to set my first pin at 40 yards, which allows me to shoot four pins to 70 yards. As for accuracy down range, I shot my Mule deer buck last year at 76 yards, through the heart, and double-lunged my cow elk at both 55 and 65 yards. So, no complaint from me, with my experiences, with speed or accuracy using the WB.

I must say that I have never shot a drop away rest, so I cannot say whether or not I would like one more or less, or even if they work at all. So I am glad to know that if I decide to go away from the WB, I can be sure from all of your experiences that the drop away is a good option.

twoguns

Good to hear all the vaying opinions and experiences. I have to agree with you Redman, that each of us has to settle on what we feel most comfortable with. I guess that is why I shoot the WB...it works for me and I have never had a failure or problem with it. My experience has been all positive. I am sure that the drag along the arrow is a factor, just dont believe its too much. I also think that they will wear out over time, but have found that it is easy to replace every couple years.

Also, with the speed of my new Switchback XT LD, I am able to set my first pin at 40 yards, which allows me to shoot four pins to 70 yards. As for accuracy down range, I shot my Mule deer buck last year at 76 yards, through the heart, and double-lunged my cow elk at both 55 and 65 yards. So, no complaint from me, with my experiences, with speed or accuracy using the WB.

I must say that I have never shot a drop away rest, so I cannot say whether or not I would like one more or less, or even if they work at all. So I am glad to know that if I decide to go away from the WB, I can be sure from all of your experiences that the drop away is a good option.

twog

Two guns, Redman ect. My negativity toward the WB was due to how it works (contact with three fletch) and two buddies telling me basically what Younghunter said, harsh fletch wear and diminished accuracy at longer ranges, but this is really hear say, since I have never used them. Quite honestly in hunting situations I am a fan of simplicity and the WB is simple. If it works for you keep it. Archery has to be the worse with the jump on the band wagon attitude for the new 'gooder' products. In fact I have milk crates full of 'gooder products' that were guaranteed to make me the next Randy Ulmer. Some of this stuff is hilarious. Until I add up what I paid for that crap. It wasn't until I really started learning about bow mechanics and arrow flight that I realized I could not buy myself to being a good archer. I now realize that the only way was to have a tuned bow and practice. Knowing how to tune a bow, if it got out of whack is a plus. This is another reason I would not buy a fall away. I don't think I could tune it in a field situation if something went wrong and of coarse that is probably not a problem with the Whisker Biscuit.

Two guns, I am not flaming you, but one thing that gets my goat is the mythical I use one pin out to 40 yards. I know you are not saying you can hold the same pin on the bulls eye at 20 yards and hit it and then hold the same pin at 40 yards and hit it. My 7 mag at 3000 fps cannot do this. So when you say one pin to 40 yards do you mean the arrow would be in a kill zone. For example at 20 yards arrow is 3 inches high and 40 yards it is 3 inches low. For a hunting acceptable range of 6 inches? I have been hearing this claim since the 80s and usually the claimers cannot really hit anything at any distance. Which certainly not the case with your fine bow hunting record. 60 and 70 yard shots at live animals is great shooting.

Bob

Bobby, I think actualy the inverse of your claims on the ease of tuning a WB in the field. Since the arrow directly contacts the rest and has so much drag, if it is a ioda out of whack, your arrow flight will not be right.

of course, same goes for the fall away type, but i think even more so with a WB.