Well, she did it! My wife had an Oryx hunt this weekend on the WSMR. We saw quite a few Oryx, but they were pretty spooky and it was tough to get within even 500 yards. We had time for about one more stalk on Saturday evening and found a lone bull that had not seen us yet. We were eventually able to get to within 200 yards of him when she put him down. He is a decent size measuring 30" and 31". Due to the time restrictions we were only able to gut him and had to leave him overnight. Luckily when we got back this morning nothing had eaten on him through the night and the meat was cold. We ended up having to quarter him out and pack him out about 3/4 mile to the truck. These pictures are once we got home.

Jeff

post-660-1204516075.jpgpost-660-1204516099.jpg

Congratulations! I got to have some Oryx meat last summer courtesy of a friend. It was excellent meat! We cooked it over a campfire....hard to beat that! Gorgeous animal.

Amanda

Congratulations to your wife. What a beautiful animal! :)

I was wondering what time restrictions the WSMR had?

TJ

Congrats to her and you Jeff. I wish I'd of known you were going to be over there (I'm assuming you hunted Rhodes this weekend?) we could have met up. I went with one of my Grad students and his brother in law. They killed 35 and 32" bulls Saturday morning. Wish I could have met you.

Kevin

tjhunt2, we had until two hours after sunset on Saturday, but couldn't get cell phone service to contact the dispatch to let them know, so we opted to leave it. You have to be out by sunset on a Sunday.

Kevin, yeah man that would have been awesome to have met up with you. We were in the Rhodes Canyon area, in the Northern San Andres unit on the north side of Rhodes. What were you guys driving?

Tommy, I don't know what she sees in me :blink: HA !! Yes, I will be doing the Taxi work on him as well, so we will see how it turns out.

Jeff

Congratulations on a successful hunt!!

My grandfather had that same hunt and went hunting with my dad and brother. He got a 34"er on Saturday afternoon.

Congrats on the successful hunt.

--Bill

Congrats! Those make such an awesome mount! I am currious now how the meat tastes...... please let us know!

Thanks guys. The meat is wonderful. I have heard people say that it is the best game meat out there, and I would have to agree. I like the flavor of elk and deer, but Oryx is much milder and almost tastes like beef.

Jeff