Sign in to follow this  
longbowpilot

Still hunting the flats?

Anyone on here ever been successful still hunting the desert flats?  I know sometimes when you jump up a mule deer they will stop and look back at you (unlike coues, they typically just run).  Seems like you could possibly get a shot at one doing this method.  

The big old bucks do stop occasionally but not until the are 4 to 6 + hundred yards out but they dont always stop. Those who have never hunted just for older age class mule deer think they are dumb, they will let you walk right by at 10 to 15 yards and sneak out their back trail/door, when tracking them they will circle back and watch their trail for predators. I dont hunt the desert flats but in hard hunted areas the older bucks are a challenge to hunt. Good luck! 

• Like 3

Depends on your definition of "flats".  I pretty much exclusively still-hunt mule deer, but the terrain is not always pancake flat.  It is flat enough, though, that glassing usually isn't particularly productive.  Three of the last four bucks I've killed in the area I currently hunt were shot on the "run", only one was caught unaware and standing still feeding.

48 minutes ago, Mr. Natural said:

Depends on your definition of "flats".  I pretty much exclusively still-hunt mule deer, but the terrain is not always pancake flat.  It is flat enough, though, that glassing usually isn't particularly productive.  Three of the last four bucks I've killed in the area I currently hunt were shot on the "run", only one was caught unaware and standing still feeding.

Are you using open sights on your rifle for this type of hunting?   The area I hunt sounds similar to what you are talking about, pretty thick with palo verde/cholla, etc.  And is mainly flat with some mountain foothills, so glassing is tough.  Was thinking I may have more luck with still hunting.

have taken off after mulies I glassed up and when I got to the shade spot they had vanished, they are up and down all day long chasing shade, easiest is to have a partner and work as a team, one stays high on the glass and the other heads after the deer with an ear bud in for the glasser to tell them if the deer moved

Contrary to popular thought, open sights will be much harder to line up on moving game.   You not only have to track the animal with a moving rifle but you have two things to line up instead of one with a scope or red dot.  I would look into a 2-12 scope or similar if you’re gonna a shoot at running game a lot.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longbowpilot said:

Are you using open sights on your rifle for this type of hunting?   The area I hunt sounds similar to what you are talking about, pretty thick with palo verde/cholla, etc.  And is mainly flat with some mountain foothills, so glassing is tough.  Was thinking I may have more luck with still hunting.

Nope, using a scope set on lower power.  Yep, lots of palo verde, ironwood, mequite, cholla in flatish to low rolling terrain.  Still hunting has worked for me, four of four tags filled since I started hunting the area.