Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

Nosler Long Range Accubond for hunting???

On 4/22/2019 at 3:46 PM, brademan76 said:

I've done lots of online sleuthing (no personal field experience with them) and everyone says if you're truly looking expansion at long ranges, its a pretty good bullet (as long as your rifle likes it). But, it sounds like 200 and under it can have some issues with over-expansion. I was looking at them for the same reason, a little heaver .277 bullet with good terminal ballistics at distance, but decided I'll stick with 145gr ELD-X.

My son got his first buck this last season with the 145 ELD-X out of a 270WIN very good performance at 350 yds.

• Like 1

I've shot one mule deer with the ABLR bullet.   142 grain 6.5mm bullet and the bullet did great.    Deer dropped in its tracks at 100 yards and it was a done deal.   Shot through the ribs and the exit hole was a little bigger than a golf ball.   

My problem is the bullet isn't that accurate.  I could achieve about 3/4 MOA with the bullet (with a custom gun).   If I shot 20 rounds I would have 2 flyers that I couldn't account for.   Typically elevation changes on the range and 500 yards.   It was really, really frustrating.    I finally gave up on the bullets after putting about 200 of them down the tube.    I switched to the Hornady ELD line of bullets and my gun was instantly shooting under .5 MOA and it shoots much better than that now.   I have zero elevation issues even out to 1000 yards.    The bullet flat out shoots and the tolerances that I've measured are much tighter than the ABLR bullets.    I'm a huge nosler fan but this bullet isn't a long range bullet in regards to accuracy.   If you were planning on shooting 500 yards and under the bullet would probably do fine.   The question is if you were planning on shooting 500 and under why would anyone needs an ABLR bullet?    The regular AB or BT bullet would do just fine.   Bottom line is the ABLR bullet will be great under 500 yards for hunting and not consistent enough for accuracy reasons past 500.     

FYI - I've seen a few animals shot with Hornady bullets and they all did a great job.   

• Like 1

I love the regular accubonds.  Always shot well for me.  The LRAB has proven to be a little more finicky.  My luck with them has run about 50/50.  It's a great performing bullet - if you can get it to group consistently.  Nosler has announce a new 150 gr. Accubond in the .277 caliber, but haven't found it in any stores (brick or virtual).  I'm going to wait for them to come out.