Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

Nosler Long Range Accubond for hunting???

I am thinking about switching from the 140 Nos. Accubond to the 150 Nos LR  accubond. (.270 wsm) I have had great luck with the regular Accubond, and they shoot great in my rifle.   At any rate, I am looking for some input from those of you that have harvested animals with them.  Thanks in advance for any info.

Whitey

I've done lots of online sleuthing (no personal field experience with them) and everyone says if you're truly looking expansion at long ranges, its a pretty good bullet (as long as your rifle likes it). But, it sounds like 200 and under it can have some issues with over-expansion. I was looking at them for the same reason, a little heaver .277 bullet with good terminal ballistics at distance, but decided I'll stick with 145gr ELD-X.

• Like 1

We have killed a couple of cow elk, antelope and Aoudads all with the 142 out of 6.5 (3000fps).  Bullets have all performed great at short to medium distances.  They are a little softer than the regular accubonds and I have had 60-80% retention.  I have had the nose separate and the core stay solid. They shoot great out of my gun.  I also found they like a little jump, mine shot best at .050 another friend found the same. 

If your shooting them at 3200 fps you might see some big fragmentation on a close shot but the shank should stay intact.  Don't think you would have any issues with them killing but might destroy some meat a close high fps shots, that would be the only down side.  EDLX are the same, all the bullets that are designed to expand at low velocities tend to explode more at close range high FPS shots

• Like 1

I have tried various NABLRs in 20+ extremely accurate custom rifles.  Never had a single one that I find acceptable to my standards.  MOA?  Yeah.  But not much better.  I wish they shot well. 

6.5mm 129 & 142

.277 150

7mm 168 & 175

.308 210 (and MAYBE the 190s?)

All of my dwindling stock is now used solely for fire forming brass.

• Like 1

Ive heard better results with accubonds than the long range ones. But on that matter the only rifle Ive heard great results were with the .270 wsm which you got

• Like 1

I run the NABs, shoots lights out. Does what I need it to do. I’ve heard too many issues with the NABLRs. I personally would look elsewhere for a long range hunting bullet. Berger Elite Hunter?

• Like 1

I had a pretty good load one summer in my 7mm RM with 168 grs. RL22 was its accurate powder. They didn't care for H1000. I had poor groups after a few outings as the temp dropped in the fall, followed by an unexpected 60 yard antelope shot that left him running well over 100 yards before piling up. 

I moved on as I would like to find a bullet that does it at 60 and 600 if possible.

Thanks for all the info....  really am very pleased with the regular accubond, ( this set up has been responsible for 15 or so harvested AZ animals without fail)  not sure why I feel the need to try the LR.  At any rate, I have 300 prepped brass and going to load a few of these just to mess with...  thanks again for the info.

Whitey

23 hours ago, CouesPursuit said:

I had a pretty good load one summer in my 7mm RM with 168 grs. RL22 was its accurate powder. They didn't care for H1000. I had poor groups after a few outings as the temp dropped in the fall, followed by an unexpected 60 yard antelope shot that left him running well over 100 yards before piling up. 

I moved on as I would like to find a bullet that does it at 60 and 600 if possible.

180 Berger Hybrid @ 2996fps from 7RM

60ish yards

20161015_075527_zpsf1n6cjsw.jpg

Exit hole

20161015_104453_zpslfgvzs7n.jpg

662 yards

20170930_181303_zpsst6tnnvg.jpg

Exit hole

20170929_212645_zpsfggse2kd.jpg

45 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

180 Berger Hybrid @ 2996fps from 7RM

60ish yards

Sweet, terminal ballistics on elk are not comparable to antelope at 60 yards, but of course, you know that.

I've seen your results with the Berger 180's though, seems like a great bullet. 

My .270 loves them. I’ve killed a couple animals including an antelope at 400ish and a BIG bodied muley at 200. They were pass throughs with good expansion and nice exit holes. They are tricky to load though. They seem really depth sensitive

1 hour ago, GreyGhost85 said:

They are tricky to load though. They seem really depth sensitive

Absolutely. They supplied a small note in each box that suggested seating them well off the lands. My sub-MOA load was .08" off. 

I'm a fan of the 160 grain Accubond (non-LR) out of my 7mm Tikka.

You may want to revisit the post titled "Noslar LRAB" from 12-5-18.  A ton of useful information. 

• Like 1