Couestracker

Best buffalo hunt?

Which hunt is considered better, fall or spring? Asking for a friend. 👀

A few years ago I would have said the spring hunt but recently they have shortened it and added a few short hunts on the back end.  That complicates everything.  June seems to be a pretty good time to be up there but then you end up with a pretty short hunt to get it done.  If you do the earlier one you could be sitting around twiddling your thumbs waiting for the snow to melt like everyone this year.  The weather is better in the fall but the bison are much less predictable after the rut.

• Like 2

I think statistically they kill more buffalo on the spring hunts.  They move out of the park looking for water and the magic salt.  As Heat said, this year's cool weather and moisture are putting a wrench in the works.  As of yesterday, there was no harvest recorded yet  for the first season.  My daughter has a bull tag the end of June, I am hoping it heats up and starts to dry out before then.

• Like 2

Last year's late fall hunt had ideal conditions.  I think we had 7 for 7 in the first week of the hunt.  The first week of November was warm and dry.  Just right.

• Like 1