My son, Matt, now lives in Montana. Guess most hunters up that way use OnX.
Anyone have any experience with this?
Guess especially useful for differentiating private vs public lands and placing your location with GPS?
Apparently syncs with desktop, Iphone, Ipad, and Garmin devices.

I currently use a Garmin Astro 320 in the field while desert quail hunting.Wondering if the smaller screen may be a unwise to use with OnX?
Just wondering if you have used such as these? Any first hand reviews?Thanks.  Bob C., Globe, Az.

Just get it for your phone.  I won’t go into the field without it.  Even when hunting in AZ where it’s mostly public I still don’t feel comfortable without it.  When hunting in states with higher private land ownership, I rank it more important then my binos.   Just behind my tag and my rifle!!  

Love it. I’ve used it several times crossing ranches with signage to determine exact boundaries...one instance there was a private property sign at a fence corner where I was pretty sure it was public on one side...the app confirmed for me that was the corner of the private and not all private as I would have thought by the sign placement. 

Also just very handy as a GPS tool for marking spots. Doesn’t replace my Garmin or map n compass, but a good tool. I really like the offline mode where you can save maps off and it still works for tracking without cell signal. 

I'm a big fan of the phone app. Seems like they update pretty frequently with new features too. The ability to save map sections for use later when you're outside of cell service is really useful. 

One of my best Muley’s I owe directly to having this.  I was driving out for the day and he was needed behind a lava flow about 50 yards from private on one side and National monument on another side.  I had ONX rolling at the time, glanced at it to make sure I was cool and dropped him right in the corner of the BLM I was on.  Would never have had the balls to shoot that deer otherwise. 

• Like 2

Thanks all.

I carry a Garmin Astro 320 GPS for my bird dogs.  Can mark waypoints.  Have found it very useful.

Just don't know if I want to also carry an IPhone too.  Technology overload??

Any thoughts?

Garmin and OnX work well together.  It just updates your base map so I would guess you could plug a chip into the back of the Astro and it would show you the same thing as it normally does just with land ownership as background.  Call on x and they can verify that.  They’re really good to work with.   A chip runs about $50 I think for one state.  I buy the whole country for my phone for $79 a year and I have chips for my gps for most of the states I hunt.  I like the redundancy but use my phone most since it’s touch screen and has google earth backdrop instead of just topo.  If you’re using it for bird hunting mostly I would just get a chip for your Astro since you already will be using it constantly.  

Here’s the answer.  More expensive then I remember but I haven’t bought a chip for several years.  Worth every penny if you ask me.  It lists your Astro as compatible.  Pretty easy when you get it.  Just open the back battery hatch and there’s a little spot for the micro SD, pop it in and go.  

368B390D-5E86-4CD8-9EC5-F36EF43DE505.png

A7EFBC67-D39E-4A13-9925-BE1950CA2F55.png

OnX is awesome, I sit at work on the weekends and look over country and drop pins that I can pull up on my phone and check out. Best app on my phone for sure.

PseAZ,  Well, I purchased a one year Ariz version. Question:  After exploring, dropping map layers & waypoints on my desktop, How do I then sync that with my I-Phone for in the field use? Or how do I "pull it up on my phone?"   Can't find an answer to that ?  Bob C., Globe, Az.