Sign in to follow this  
Couesi1

Unit 23 whitetail tag

Rembrandt, you gonna answer this one.

Couesi1,

You have kind of hit a sore spot on the forum. There are a lot of newbies that post the same question as yours, and then disappear. The guys on the forum are understandably reluctant to share prized "where to hunt" information with transient members. An exception to this would probably be youth hunters.

My advice to you is take a lot of time to read ALL the archives. There probably won't be any hot spots about 23 posted, but there is an incredible wealth of information about how to hunt coues. Then you could post more specific questions about HOW to hunt coues, and you'll get lots of responses and help.

Also, try game and fish web page. www.azgfd.com , they give suggestions of where to hunt in each unit.

Good luck,

Bowsniper

Edited by bowsniper

What areas have you scouted so far?

Guys,

thanks for the advice. I was not speaking for specific places......I know those are sacred. I know how irritating it can be for someone to expect silver platter treatment/information without earning it. I was speaking in more general terms such as northern 23 vs. southern 23. I've already done the internet thing and they are pretty general......probably for a reason (AZGFD). I was thinking of looking around the southern portion of the unit, where the Anchas spill into cherry creek or north of roosevelt lake. It has looked kinda interesting over the years as I fish roosevelt. I got docter glasses and do okay with them. Am I in the ballgame now????

P.S. sorry about opening old wounds....it wasn't my intention.

couesi1

I still can't believe the Game Dept actually takes money for a deer tag in unit 23!!

Well Cousi1, go try to find a deer, and after you get burnt out from walking all over that rock pile called the Sierra Anchas, you can settle in for some good football on TV, or maybe catch a suns game or two - I think they're gonna be really good this year.

Chalk this one up to experience, keep reading this forum and maybe you can find a good unit to put in for next year.

With my deepest sympathy,

Mike

Buy a lion tag if your going into the Sierra Anchas or any area of 23 there will be more deer in the future for all of us.

23 is loaded don't get dicouraged.

Get away from main roads and glass,

Maybe I'll see you scouting for the wifes elk hunt in Dec.

Have fun,...

Dan

Rembrandt, you are just brutal, man. I hope my twisted sense of humor hasn't rubbed off on you. Sarcasm is frequently misinterpreted on this forum, and you could end up being a dirty sob like me.

The only other Coues deer hunter that I know in Grand Junction is an older gent that is comfortably retired but works at our Sportsman's Warehouse just to get away from his old lady during the day. He is originally from AZ, is somewhat connected there, and knows alot about hunting there. He and I just shoot the sheet 'til his manager comes out and separates us. We talk tripods, catclaw & mesquites, Leica-vs-Swarovski, and Coues deer habits at least twice a month. Everyone there listening in on our conversations thinks we are loco and need some serious help. But we both know better.

Anyway, he and 3 of his buddies hunted 23 December last year, and all easily took bucks. Don't know where they hunted, but all came back happy. They didn't take any toads, tho, just average bucks. The bucks are there...........somewhere.

Edited by CHD

Around the cherry creek area is a good place to start but be prepared for tons of road hunters. I havent followed the "open wound" issue hear on CW so I will help a bit if you put in your scouting time. 23 was the first unit I hunted coues in and know it isnt the easiest without any help. The lions pound the heck out of the deer and the terrain is a bit rough if you get back in above roosevelt where the deer are. Anyway if you know how to glass, hike back in to a good glassing point above roosevelt and move if you arent seeing anything then you are starting at a good point. I found the deer to be in pockets in 23 unlike some southern units that seem to have tons more deer so dont get too frustrated, move and look some more...........hope this helps a bit..........Allen Taylor.......

Okay,

you guys are very helpful......even the sarcastic guys......I appreciate it. I'll take the advice to heart and try to find a thumper. Unfortunately. I have a 23 late bull rifle tag too.......guess that buys me 7 or 8 extra days to glass for our favorite little guys.

Couesi1