Sign in to follow this  
Guest akaspecials

Archery Sandhill Crane Questions

8 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

Good luck finding large lead shot at prices anywhere close to what it used to be.  

Look for clearance prices after the seasons. Last year I bought 50 boxes  Dove loads for $2 a box at Walmart.

• Like 1

I think he actually has an archery only tag.  I wouldn’t necessarily say you’d want large shot for cranes.  4’s would be the ideal size for anything 60 yards and less. 

12 hours ago, bowfishAZ said:

I killed one back in 2007 with my bow.  I knew of a tank that the birds would go to for the day. This greater landed across the tank at 48 yards.   I believe I was using 100 grain thunder heads at the time. 

BB9B72DB-2532-4856-AE4C-23125D4CB2A8.jpeg

Thats Awsum congrats.

5 hours ago, Big Tub said:

Good luck finding large lead shot at prices anywhere close to what it used to be.  

I havent seen it around anywhere either. I have a couple of milk crates filled with it from the late 60's and 70's as dad bought cases of it in Japan for duck hunting over there. we brought a ton of it back to the states,  My father was a Duck and goose hunting fool. he and a few buddies would buy it on base with the PX when they ordered it or from the gunclub. they usually got 10 cases a piece. was kinda funny cause when the PX or gun club didnt have it everyone called my Father for a box.

When my Father passed away about 8 years ago it took me 1.5 short bed truck loads Level with the top of bed of just shotgun ammo to get it to my house. I still have a bunch of bags of #2 and #4 shot laying here also. most of it is from the PX and gun club in yokuska Japan

Drew the archery tag as well, I don’t have decoys and havent really started making plans for how to make it happen. Looking forward to the adventure and trying to sneak into areas they like to hit. I will buy some flu flu arrows for shots on the wing.

2 hours ago, SWDesertRat said:

Drew the archery tag as well, I don’t have decoys and havent really started making plans for how to make it happen. Looking forward to the adventure and trying to sneak into areas they like to hit. I will buy some flu flu arrows for shots on the wing.

You will need decoys and a blind. Big Browns and I did the shotgun hunt last year.

• Like 1

I made up approximately 12 dozen silouettes a few years ago.  Generally, they do not pass muster at shotgun range.  Doubles and singles are sometimes fooled but the larger flocks usually veer off out of range. We have learned to set up about a 100+ yards away from the dekes in a direction we expect the birds to come in from.  We thought about acquiring full body dekes but storing them for a whole year a pain, plus they are not cheap.  Hiring a guide with full bodied or taxidermy dekes, a lease, blind etc. is a good way to get it done.  Let him store all those decoys.  Unfortunately, I don't know of anybody who does it.  That and I did not draw this year.