Sign in to follow this  
Gringo

Moving into the neighborhood

Hey CWT Family

I'm making my long awaited move down to Az (N. Phx area) next month, and would like to get involved with any local groups, or activities, that I might meet some new friends with the same passions as I have!   

I hunt pretty much anything, and like to fish and ski as well.   Bowhunt, rifle, muzzy..... Big game, predators, birds.... You name it.

Love to meet some like minded folks, and maybe a new hunting and fishing partner or 2.    Absolutely not looking for someone to drag me around to "their spots", I'll be out hitting the hills scouting and hunting on my own as soon as I'm settled in my new house.    If you guys can think of some activities or groups that I might look into, I would sure appreciate the suggestions.

Cheers!

I can't help ya' Gringo, still stuck in SoCal for another year here... but out of curiosity where are you moving from?

Welcome to AZ, I love it here! You came to the right place, lots of great guys here and I have learned a lot from these guys.  What type of work brought you here?

• Like 1

Awesome Kev.   I'm pretty enthused to be a resident.   I'm an Account manager for a software company.

I'll be out looking for a Bear and maybe calling some coyotes ASAP!

2 hours ago, Gringo said:

Awesome Kev.   I'm pretty enthused to be a resident.   I'm an Account manager for a software company.

I'll be out looking for a Bear and maybe calling some coyotes ASAP!

Keep in touch, Gringo. I'm north of Surprise and share many of your hobbies and some you didn't list like wilderness packing and prospecting.

I have a large bear on my gold claim north of town that's been growing bolder and terrorizing camps in the area for years. He earned the name Mountain Dew after stealing a 12 pack from a buddies cooler last fall, in broad daylight. We've talked it over and he needs to go before somebody or their kids get hurt.

Where in CO? I used to ranch outside Dove Creek.

• Like 2

There is a pretty friendly group that shoots bows at Usery Park .  They have a few weeks left of night time shooting before hunting season starts.  It starts at 7:00 pm and usually gets over around 9 pm. We shoot at 3-D targets they set up at the main practice range and they put spotlights on them once it gets dark.  It's challenging and a heck of a lot of fun.  Usually about 20 or so show up.

Accounts and software, both are over my head. But welcome anyways. Looks like you are off to a good start.   

• Like 1

Coyote calling huh?  I used to be a member, back in the day, of the Southern AZ Wildlife Callers, a breakoff of the AVCA (AZ Varmit Callers Association).  Haven't done much coyote calling for a long time, but it was fun.  A few of us were also avid DU members too. 

We've also been known to call in bears, bobcats, and even a lion (or two), but as I said it's been "a few" years.  Now I've just focus on elk mostly, and turkeys when I can get a good tag which are/have been almost as much fun as elk.  I also used to shoot at Usery starting about 20 years ago too, but moved up north to get out of the heat and live in the pines... that's unfortunately burning right now just north of Flagstaff.  The fire is nearing the backside of Mt. Elden now and mostly in the Dry Lake area, hopefully won't go too much farther north. 

AZ has everything except griz and moose, but coues whitetails and the size bulls can get to here more than makes up for that! 

congrats on your move!

• Like 1

Hey Gringo, Welcome, lottsa hunting here. Question I drew Unit 70 , 3rd season Deer in Colorado. Do You know that unit at all ? if so let me know  , for Deer,Thanks...............BOB!

12 hours ago, 1uofacat said:

AZ has everything except griz and moose, but coues whitetails and the size bulls can get to here more than makes up for that! 

And goats...

16 hours ago, naturebob said:

Hey Gringo, Welcome, lottsa hunting here. Question I drew Unit 70 , 3rd season Deer in Colorado. Do You know that unit at all ? if so let me know  , for Deer,Thanks...............BOB!

Hey Bob,

I haven't hunted it for deer, but have called Coyotes, and done a little shed hunting.    Happy to tell you the little that I know.   Give me a ring some time.

720 648 7686

Chris