Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

Bison reports

On 8/11/2019 at 4:14 PM, HuntHarder said:

The last 10 tags, there was 1 paying client.  They killed early.  I think 8-9 of the tags participated in Russ's program.

Do you know how the other guys did?

On 8/11/2019 at 6:03 PM, CatfishKev said:

Can't help but wonder out of successful hunters how many are Russ clients.

I hunted with Russ last year and didn’t kill.  A majority of the non guided hunters did kill. 

2 hours ago, yotebuster said:

I hunted with Russ last year and didn’t kill.  A majority of the non guided hunters did kill. 

Do you think it's better to do your own thing or work with the conglomerate?

43 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I guess I can’t speak to doing your own thing because I never did.  I flew down from ND so I had limited gear and no help (planting season at home so I couldn’t get anyone to come with me) so hiring Russ was the only way I could swing it.  I thought he was very fair, the hottest salt was already being sat by non guided hunters and no attempt was made to rotate me into it by them (I wouldn’t have wanted to anyway as I missed opening two days due to family stuff) which I thought was admirable considering I got there late.  They killed several bison off that salt.  I ended up bumping bison one morning on my way into a salt but beyond that I never layed eyes on one.  Met some great people and had a good time though.  I drew a WY tag this year so I get another crack at them!  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

I did my own thing, I prefer to have my success or failure dependent on my ability not someone else's. Send me your email address and I will pass  you on some coordinates

• Like 4

1 hour ago, idgaf said:

I did my own thing, I prefer to have my success or failure dependent on my ability not someone else's. Send me your email address and I will pass  you on some coordinates

I’ve killed a pile of critters on my “own ability”, including the mountain goat in my avatar, two shiras moose, 10 bull elk about 50 deer and a dozen buck antelope.  I’ve had some excellent hunts with guides and some awesome hunts on my own.  If logistics would have allowed it I would have loved to do it on my own.  I had ten days away from work.  It’s a two day trip one way so that gets me down from 10 days to 6.  I weighed the options and a plane ticket and guide was cheaper then gas and time off for me in this case.  I read your story and you killed an awesome bull.  DIY is obviously much sweeter but in this case it didn’t work for me.  

• Like 4

Be aware, if you are not paying Russ, there is no guarantee that he will be there.  I put all my eggs in the basket of working with the Russ program as a non paying, but cooperating hunter and panning to leave a decent tip.  

Well, by leaving all my eggs in that basket, I never prescouted out of courtesy to other hunters.  As it turned out, Russ was on a sheep hunt.  Us bison hunters ended up going at it primarily on our own and I was hunting in an area I had never been before.  I figured it out and killed on day four.  Once again, I was on my own butchering my bison without any help.  

So, unless you are hiring Russ, you should not assume he will be there.  Heads up!

29 minutes ago, MT_Sourdough said:

Be aware, if you are not paying Russ, there is no guarantee that he will be there.  I put all my eggs in the basket of working with the Russ program as a non paying, but cooperating hunter and panning to leave a decent tip.  

Well, by leaving all my eggs in that basket, I never prescouted out of courtesy to other hunters.  As it turned out, Russ was on a sheep hunt.  Us bison hunters ended up going at it primarily on our own and I was hunting in an area I had never been before.  I figured it out and killed on day four.  Once again, I was on my own butchering my bison without any help.  

So, unless you are hiring Russ, you should not assume he will be there.  Heads up!

He was only there for a day during my hunt.  His guide Brian Meyers was there the whole time and ran the coop.  He is a heck of a nice guy.  While I was there he helped skin and pack out 4 bison, all killed by non guided hunters.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yotebuster said:

He was only there for a day during my hunt.  His guide Brian Meyers was there the whole time and ran the coop.  He is a heck of a nice guy.  While I was there he helped skin and pack out 4 bison, all killed by non guided hunters.  

I believe your experience is more commonly the case and that is what I was assuming, but it didn't work that way during my hunt.  The fact that Russ nor any sort of associate was there during my hunt is also true.  I just want to allow people to consider that he may not be there, because he may not.

4 hours ago, yotebuster said:

I’ve killed a pile of critters on my “own ability”, including the mountain goat in my avatar, two shiras moose, 10 bull elk about 50 deer and a dozen buck antelope.  I’ve had some excellent hunts with guides and some awesome hunts on my own.  If logistics would have allowed it I would have loved to do it on my own.  I had ten days away from work.  It’s a two day trip one way so that gets me down from 10 days to 6.  I weighed the options and a plane ticket and guide was cheaper then gas and time off for me in this case.  I read your story and you killed an awesome bull.  DIY is obviously much sweeter but in this case it didn’t work for me.  

Dont take my comments as a slight on you.  I totally understand the logistics of travel.  

• Like 1