Sign in to follow this  
Viper

Thoughts on clamp on muzzle brake?

I am thinking of putting a muzzle brake on my Rem 700 .270 cal. The barrel is not threaded, so I was thinking of a clamp on type. This one caught my interest. Thoughts?

Reason is, I am working on extending my effective range and I would like to see impact on target. Currently the muzzle rise takes me off target.

https://www.wittmachine.net/custom-clamp-on-muzzle-brake.html 

Clamp-ons have proven quite effective for me and several shooting friends. It would be great if all rifles came with brake/suppressor threading, but sadly this isn't so. Clamp on brakes are about the only option if you have a rifle with typical inadequate barrel muzzle thickness (this is a very common problem on factory rifles), because threading a typically overly thin factory barrel muzzle may likely induce structural failure, something best avoided. Another feature is that you can remove it easily, if needed. There is a lot of info on the web for suggested barrel muzzle minimum thickness, so you may want to look at this.

• Like 1

Do they work?  Yeah.

Are they ugly as heck?  Yeah.  

If you have a factory R700 sporter contour, you can get the muzzle threaded and a brake installed by a gunsmith.  Much less likely to catch on anything, and way, WAY more aesthetically pleasing.  Probably way less weight hanging off the end too.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cjl2010 said:

How long do you plan on keeping the rifle? How many rounds down it?

Around 700 rounds through it. I believe it is the standard sporter-type barrel, Rem 700 XCR, .270 cal.  I plan to keep it. After putting a Bell & Carlson stock on it and bedding the recoil lug, it shoots 3/4 moa. However, I sometimes get the itch for something lighter and more "custom" ;-)

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

Do they work?  Yeah.

Are they ugly as heck?  Yeah.  

If you have a factory R700 sporter contour, you can get the muzzle threaded and a brake installed by a gunsmith.  Much less likely to catch on anything, and way, WAY more aesthetically pleasing.  Probably way less weight hanging off the end too.  

What is the average cost? $150 - $200?  Is there a recommended manufacturer/model?

If it shoots 3/4moa keep it. Eric @AxisWorks LLC recently threaded, installed a brake, and cerakoted it for me. Great work. This is the 3rd rifle he has done this too for me. 2 of those rifles were factory sporter barrels. One was a 3006, and the other a 300 weatherby mag. Recoil difference is night and day. I can actually shoot the 300 weatherby with getting abused. Eric has different brakes in stock alot of times, or can get them quick. He used a 3 port on both the sporter weight barrels.

• Like 1

Witt had a sale this weekend for $69.00 it might still be on sale.

Have a reputable smith thread it at the minimum. Spin on a self timing break if you don’t want to have one installed. PVA has a backcountry brake for smaller contours.

• Like 1