Sign in to follow this  
LVREHUNTER

First timer hunting in 36B

Planning strip to archery hunt coues and javalina in 36B this year.  I have a few questions which I looked through the forum and wasn't finding exactly...

1.  Since there's much better board security now with the new administration, is there much issues with illegals on the Buenos Aires National Refuge?

2. Are there a lot on Javelina in this unit?

3.  With illegals crossing, is it dangerous to sit water as it seems illegals are more prone to hitting water as they travel?

4.  For this area, what's a decent coues buck I should be looking for or could expect?  

5.  If I do run into a pack of illegals and something was to go wrong....how do you score a big illegal?  (Total joke!!!)

• Like 1

Welcome to the site.  I'm sure others may chime-in with responses as well, but here are my thoughts.

1)  Yes, border crossings are down but there are still illegal crossers (near Buenos Aires and elsewhere.....)

2)  Yes

3)  Dangerous to sit water?? 🤣   Have you spent anytime in border country?  Not sure where you get your information regarding illegals being 'more prone to hitting water', but I don't think many of them are drinking out of cattle tanks / drinkers. ;)   In my experience, the majority illegals try to hunker and hide or immediately head the other way if/when you come into contact with them.

4)  Depends on how good of a glasser you are and LUCK.

Good luck!

I have spent zero time near the border!  Bad news tends to travel better than good so I've only heard the worst about being around the border.  I'm sure it's not as bad as I've heard especially after reading through this forum.  I'd like to say I can glass well but other than glassing for sheep which was more difficult than any elk, mule deer or antelope, I haven't spent anytime behind glass looking for grey ghost so I'm sure there's a learning curve!  

9 hours ago, LVREHUNTER said:

5.  If I do run into a pack of illegals and something was to go wrong....how do you score a big illegal?  (Total joke!!!)

Leave out a couple empanadas and fantas with a leg snare. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Your worrying to much. Be cautious and hunt. Your hunt will be more affected by border patrol doing their job than illegals.

I agree with this. Just glass.

Its surprising but I have seen plenty of illegals drink from cattle tanks and guzzlers.  Nasty business

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, LVREHUNTER said:

Do you guys all carry side arms when hunting near the border?  

I personally don't, but I'm not a big sidearm guy.  I've never felt threatened.  (Suppose if I felt threatened, I always have a long gun with me anyway. ;) ) 

I tend to agree with muledeerarea33.  I think you're overthinking and worrying about it all too much.  Literally thousands of folks hunt the border units each year without incident.

57 minutes ago, LVREHUNTER said:

Do you guys all carry side arms when hunting near the border?  

I always carry a pistol and an extra mag in my pack pack. Not necessarily for illegals but just because I always carry, can’t be over gunned or over cautious but seriously, if that’s all your worried about then you’ll have a horrible hunt!  I live and hunt within 50 miles of the border and have only had two encounters. Both were friendly even though one ended up with the arrest/detaining of a large group.

I have hunted 36B several times and have seen illegals only once.  Any I have never let it become an issue as someone above mentioned they usually want nothing to do with us.  If you are hunting on the game refuge you will likely see more muleys than whitetail. 

Yes, lots of pigs in this unit. The refuge gets hammered heavy with hunters and guides so don’t expect to ever be alone. I have never seen illegals in that unit, but they are there. 

Get on a high hill/roller and glass the washes and run-offs. I see them every time I am out there hunting mule deer.