phillyphan

Youth Archery Elk

I let my son make that decision (bull instead of cow). I enjoyed his cow hunts tremendously. They are much more relaxed, and more of a good time with good friends experience. Bull elk tags change things, at least for us. Preassure on dad, through the roof! By 13 he had shot 2 cow elk, 4 deer, a pile of javelina, and a few turkeys. He came to me after his last cow hunt and said "Dad, I think I want to start butting in for bull, I know I might not get drawn for a while, but want to do it anyway." I should have known that with his luck, he would draw a 13 bonus point tag in 2 years.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Delw said:

There is NO difference between cows and bulls. put him on a separate tag he will have a better chance of getting drawn, also if you get drawn you can sing your tag over to him. so basically he gets 2 chance to get drawn.

My daughter started shooting competition archery when she was like 9 maybe 10 targets not 3d. she started hunting with a bow when she was 9. at 10 she was archery deer hunting , she had early archery bull elk tags 3 years in a row 2 I signed over to her one she drew.

when you have kids, your top priority should be them! sign your tag over to them. They grow up to fast and then there gone. I signed tags (4 or 5 elk tags early rifle and early archery, 1 lope tag and a couple north rim deer tags) to my kids for the last 18 years. Now I get to hunt as the kids are all grown up so now its all about me.  before the transferring of tags was legal I let them pull a trigger or 2 on a few deer tags.

that all being said do it if and only if the kid wants to hunt , dont force them at all as they will stop immediately and never have a interest.

I never thought about signing a tag to him.  That's a great idea going forward.  Fortunately he's drawn a tag every year I have to date, but something I could do if I draw a tag and he doesn't.  Thanks for the great input.

7 minutes ago, rossislider said:

I let my son make that decision (bull instead of cow). I enjoyed his cow hunts tremendously. They are much more relaxed, and more of a good time with good friends experience. Bull elk tags change things, at least for us. Preassure on dad, through the roof! By 13 he had shot 2 cow elk, 4 deer, a pile of javelina, and a few turkeys. He came to me after his last cow hunt and said "Dad, I think I want to start butting in for bull, I know I might not get drawn for a while, but want to do it anyway." I should have known that with his luck, he would draw a 13 bonus point tag in 2 years.

That's exactly what my son told me.  dang do these kids have some luck which I think is awesome.  When my son pulled the antelope tag my card got hit and I thought it was for my wife who had 16 points at the time.  My son only had two or three points and she kept saying it's not for me it's for him.  I kept saying no way it's yours you got it.  Portal results came out and she was not a happy camper. Now I put him in for Bighorn and Bear not I my to start getting his points up there, but because I feel like with his luck he has a chance every year.

53 minutes ago, phillyphan said:

I keep going back and forth about putting him in for the youth elk hunts or the bull hunts.  He's pulled a youth cow tag three years in a row and is the only one putting meat in the freezer.  I feel like we probably have maybe two years left of hunting before he's off to college.  That's if the opposite sex doesn't take all his attention at that time too lol.  I have no doubts he'll be a hunter throughout his life, but have had several hunters tell me there's a period where their kids stopped hunting for a big period of time due to college, work, new family, etc.  Anyway it just seems like he has a better opportunity to pull a tag for youth cow or archery bull, so when he expressed interest in going for bull next year archery popped into my head as the obvious way to go.  

Imo. Just put in for the cow hunts and enjoy the meat and success.  Once hes 18 and in college or working concentrate on building points.

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Imo. Just put in for the cow hunts and enjoy the meat and success.  Once hes 18 and in college or working concentrate on building points.

Nope kids loose interest in not getting something on the wall Like DAD or Dads friends have. youth hunts should have bulls and cows mixed  just like deer hunts. If they wanted to go grocery shopping they would hang with mom at the store.

Same deal with bass fishermen theres kids wanna be like Dad seen too many kids loose interest over the years because there fathers would go out with the buddies bass fishing 3-5 times a week then once every 2 months take there kids out for BLUEGILL.