Sign in to follow this  
KGAINES

Snakes

No, that aint him... the one I saw was a Liberal

I am shocked at how many people say they have lived in az all there life and never seen a rattler. I have seen more rattlers than i will ever be able to recount and struck at by a dozen or more while hunting. This last weekl we had the hounds out in 24 and ran right over a baby rattler in the trail. It will not get any older that is all i can say. I know many say they have there place and i agree but when i see them i decide what place that is and it is usualy in heck. with all the other snakes. :lol:

I am shocked at how many people say they have lived in az all there life and never seen a rattler. I have seen more rattlers than i will ever be able to recount and struck at by a dozen or more while hunting. This last weekl we had the hounds out in 24 and ran right over a baby rattler in the trail. It will not get any older that is all i can say. I know many say they have there place and i agree but when i see them i decide what place that is and it is usualy in heck. with all the other snakes. :lol:

HAHA! I feel the same way. I hate those things.

Here is a squirrel that didn't get so lucky...

100_0742.jpg

My dad found this and took the pictures last summer. It was just down the steps from his front porch.

+1 on that. I was out checking a trail cam w/ my boy last July & we ran into three of them on the way out! That's too many for one trip in my book.

I am extremely paranoid of snake encounters. I have had many close calls over the years, including a rattler that struck and missed my hand by two inches. Always look under that last board in the wood pile before you pick it up.

I have knee high snake boots for the warm weather. If you want to see me jump three feet in the air and do a back flip to get out of the way, lay a stick on the trail that looks like a snake. :o

My son and I almost walked right into this little dude at the end of a day dove hunting. I HATE RATTLE SNAKES!! We were looking ahead of it as we walked, and when it started rattling I went numb from the top of my head to my feet. Seeing that it was an area that is frequented by kids with dirt bikes and quads, I let my son shoot it with his 20 gauge. It did the job.

post-1571-1208497975_thumb.jpg

I can't stand rattlers either. My wife and I were at Roosevelt Lake a couple weeks ago and I jumped over one about the size of the snake in Ron G.'s post. The thing never rattled. Unfortunately, it's still slithering around - the wife didn't think we should bother it since it wasn't bothering us. The fact that their crawling around on the desert floor is enough of a bother for me to justify killing the things, but that wasn't a battle I was willing to engage in . . . especially considering she was good enough to go the lake with me in the first place!

During our October 36B hunt last year, my brother and I came across one in waist high grass. It rattled when my brother was about 4 feet from walking right over it. It didn't rattle again after that . . . ;)

This afternoon one jumped under my tire, I was about half a mile from my house. It was crawling out of a front yard when I seen it, about a 2 1/2 to 3 ft diamondback, about 50 yards from my kids bus stop.

I see a lot out here in SE AZ every year, 2 of them in my property next to my house, and a couple more at a friends house this last year. A few years ago I got hit by one just above the top of my boot while building a corral, it just scratched me with a tooth, and the little poison that got in burned my led like fire. It also made my fingers and toes numb for a few days. Everyone always wonders why I wear leather boots all year long, even when in the water at the river, and I tell them about being bit and how many times I have had close calls. They CAN bite through leather, but it is better protection than a regular shoe.