KBarter

Bi-pod recommendation.

Have had a Harris tall swivel model on my rifle forever. Setting up a second rifle for daughter and buddy to use. Is there something new out there that people like or is Harris still the best bet? 

Thanks,

Kent

Figured. Just making sure. 

Seems that if I want to reduce weight then my wallet will get proportionally lighter.  Which is the normal situation.

I use the claw as well. When in hillsides or steep angles it’s hard to beat. I get my butt kicked though unless I use some type of support for the rear.

The claw or even just a v that can be swapped for your head.  I like to go even more minimalist and just tilt my pan head all the way over and rest the forend of the gun in the little notch that is formed.  It works pretty well.  You can do it prone or shoot while sitting down.  

I'd mess around with your current tripod setup and just see how it works. Tilt that sucker all the way to one side and see if there is a natural spot for a rifle forend to lay.

Good luck!

• Like 3

Looked at the Bog Pod. Curious if you use the pan head for glassing.

I have the Primus Trigger sticks (they were a gift) but never haul them out to my glassing spot, plus the bipod is steadier.

Kent

Harris for the money, swivel with notched legs and get a Pod Lock so you can lock the rifle level.

Tripods are great. I shot a blacktail at 575 yards across a canyon from this position. I watched the bullet hit the buck and lay him down. I could have followed up with a shot immediately if necessary. I could shoot this almost as steady as prone. The pic doesn't show it, but I am on the side of a steep mountain. I can shoot with it standing, sitting, and it will lay out prone, but I prefer a bipod at that point. I think the best are to get an ARCA rail section mounted on your rifle and use a heavy duty tripod with a solid ball head. I switched to a heavier rated ball head, but this cheap one worked. The triclawps, pig/hog saddle, etc. are OK, but not as steady, IMO. Controlling recoil is a big part of it, and having it directly linked to the tripod is best. 

tripod shot.jpg

39 minutes ago, loboscout said:

Harris for the money, swivel with notched legs and get a Pod Lock so you can lock the rifle level.

Tripods are great. I shot a blacktail at 575 yards across a canyon from this position. I watched the bullet hit the buck and lay him down. I could have followed up with a shot immediately if necessary. I could shoot this almost as steady as prone. The pic doesn't show it, but I am on the side of a steep mountain. I can shoot with it standing, sitting, and it will lay out prone, but I prefer a bipod at that point. I think the best are to get an ARCA rail section mounted on your rifle and use a heavy duty tripod with a solid ball head. I switched to a heavier rated ball head, but this cheap one worked. The triclawps, pig/hog saddle, etc. are OK, but not as steady, IMO. Controlling recoil is a big part of it, and having it directly linked to the tripod is best. 

tripod shot.jpg

Great looking setup!

On 10/8/2019 at 2:28 PM, ForkHorn said:

The claw or even just a v that can be swapped for your head.  I like to go even more minimalist and just tilt my pan head all the way over and rest the forend of the gun in the little notch that is formed.  It works pretty well.  You can do it prone or shoot while sitting down.  

I'd mess around with your current tripod setup and just see how it works. Tilt that sucker all the way to one side and see if there is a natural spot for a rifle forend to lay.

Good luck!

For a quicker shot, I shoot right off the tripod, but I toss a lightweight shooting bag over it so I don't have hard to hard contact.  I shoot the local PRS matches to improve my skills, and I use the shooting bag over all sorts of stuff.

I taught two new hunters how to shoot off the top of a tripod in the kneeling position. Dad carried the tripod, pointed one leg towards the deer and set the bag on top of it. The kids were taught to point the rifle the way the front leg was pointing, and how to find the deer over the top of the scope and then move to the sight picture. They were very fast to acquire the target and made perfect shots. I had them practice with my .22 rifle, and it made a huge difference.

• Like 2

I bought the claw used on here thinking I’d use it. It’s not real convenient. I know some say you have all the time in the world if it’s a long distance shot but usually my deer would walk behind something before I got set up. It’s a great tool to have but I prefer a jacket, back pack, etc.