I was talking with some good ole boys the other day and we were talking about deer rifles. Mentioned that I was hunting with a 300 WSM and they started giving me a hard time about overkill and if I ever had meat left. Tried to explain to them that I use it for the range and that for Coues the shots are often over 300 yards. YOu can guess where that got me with the Carp hunters-- If you can't get closer than that , then you should not be hunting them. They all said they could "injun" up closer than that. So my question is what is the average range that you guys have killed your deer at? My average is well over 200 yards, but I guess that is because I am not a good enough injun to sneak through a canyon! :D Adam

fatfootdoc- an elephant can injun up on a carp. I think the coues are a much warier animal, plus they normally don't stop at the rise when spooked like a carp, they keep going to the next county!. I have shot coues at anywhere from about 100 yards out to around 375 yards. Thats with .270's and .243's. I don't think your rifle is overkill. The job of the gun is to kill the animal as quickly and humanely as possible. Sometimes you can't get any closer than 300 yards because of lack of cover and other intangibles. If you shoot the rifle well at distant and are able to harvest the animal in an efficient manner, more power to you. I have hunted carp and enjoy the hunt, but the ones i have shot were all under 100 yards away and thats not because I am any great stalker, i think as a species, they just tend to sit tighter than coues. Not trying to start a fight here with all the carp hunters, but hunters of any type that think its unsporting to shoot an animal at 200 or 300 yards should stick to recurve bows and flintlocks and put away their hi-powered rifles, compound bows, binos and spotting scopes. Once again, just my 2 cents.

Trufletch

I hunt with a 300 win mag and I have heard the same non-sense about over kill. I really enjoy shooting relatively long distances and have chose a belted magnum for that reason. My 2003 coues was 328yds, 2002 was 325yds and there were several more in the "pre-range finder days" that I am sure were 300+ yds. I have shot deer with .243,.308,30-06,22-250 and there is hardly any difference in the damage between calibers, most of it has to do with shot placement and bullet co -efficiency. Have you ever seen what a 50gr ballistic tip does when it is traveling 4100 FPS? Is it over kill?

I figured that the consensus would be longer ranges, the closest that I have ever seen a nice shooter is about 240 yards, unfortunately I had no tag, my buddy did and suffered from a severe spell of Mr. Magoo eyes and missed it. AG

My Average range for shooting is probably 250 yds. Some were as close as 75 yards but that is a rarity. I agree with the 300 win being a good choice for the overall ballistics. Of course many carp hunters only think of 300 win as a BIG GUN, so they do not realize the advantage of a big caliber gun with a smallet bullet. Accuracy is what counts at long range.

The best way for you to shut them up, is to do the ol' "Quigly down under" Proof shot on the range! Leaves their jaws hanging open every time.

I would say that the average shot distance that I have seen for coues is around 100 yards. I shot a coues at 118 yards this year, my brother killed one at 60 yards (snuck to within about 5 yards of it bedded before the coues busted out of the brush patch he was hold up in), and my other brother shot his at about 80 yards. I personally don't think they are too hard to stalk in on. They seem to hold pretty tight. It depends on terrain I guess to how close you can stalk in.

A 300 is a fine gun for coues. It at least gives you the ability to make those longer shots if your presented with them.

NMT,

Sounds like you are the exception rather than the rule, are you sure those are Coues? :D . I actually remembered that the first coues I shot was at 100 yards but that was by far the closest to ever fill my crosshairs. Still think that longer distances are the norm in areas with canyons etc. AG

what the hells over kill. Killed is killed. Dead is dead the faster the better. The over kill logic is not logic. If you can shoot it strait and the animal is taken without a struggle your using the right weapon!

I don't really see any need to try to get close to them. My gun is sighted in at 250 yards and I don't expect to shoot them at a distance any closer (I will if the shot presents itself). I feel more confident taking a long shot where I can get a good rest and wait for them to turn broadside (or at least something close) rather than trying to sneak up on them and possibly bust them out and attempt an off hand running shot. I am not confident enough with myself or my equipment (I need more practice and a new scope) to take a shot much further than 400 yards but I will not hesitate at 350 yards. It is all about what you feel comfortable with. If your methods work then don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

Fatfootdoc, pretty sure they were coues. Actually my buck is posted on the main page under things that are new.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/New_Mexico/new_mexico_3.htm

There is the link. I personally just feel more comfortable with closer shots. The area I hunt them in is fairly thick with lots of canyons. Part of the reason for the close shots is that my brother and I hunted them with muzzleloaders this year, if we had had a rifle one of the shots probably would have been 250 yards. I have also seen several bucks missed within the 100 yard range, these were not little bucks either. I don't have a problem with you guys that shoot the 200-400 yard shots, but after that I think it is getting a little questionable to take a coues at anything above those distances. They are a small target and there are a lot of variables at that range. If you want to get close to coues though, they aren't too hard to sneak in on.

NMT

Most of my shots have been from 200-300yards, some shorter, some longer. I like my 300 WSM for its versatility. I might suggest using a stouter bullet for the higher impact velocities, like a Nosler Partition, Accubond, or Barnes TSX, not for their penetration, but to limit the diameter of expansion. This weekend, I hope to unleash a 150 TSX on a coues buck. I also agree on stalking closer as the terrain permits and still remaining undetected. I haven't figured out how to float mid-canyon, yet. Good luck to y'all, whatever you shoot.

Doug/RedRabbit

My furthest was 478 across a canyon. There was no way to get closer. Average shot is probably 300. This is with a 300 Win mag.

Remember, A little meat is better than no meat at all!!!!!

300 yds at a coues buck is a chip shot. I get to tellin people at what distances I've killed whitetails at and they think I'm fibbin.

Shoot whatever you feel good with. Period.

Mike

I'm not doubting you are sneaking up on them in New Mexico. If you can do that here I would love to see the trick. Were they in the RUT?