Sign in to follow this  
bojangles

Youth elk

Thanks to the Arizona deer association for hosting a great camp.  Met a lot of cool people up there.  

Opening day was windy and cold.  I froze in our tent the night before, it was miserable.  We were cold, tired, etc.

saw nothing.

next day the bulls were fired up.  We got in on them early, but my son missed a 60 yard shoot.  He shot 5 feet over its back.

that afternoon we were gonna sit water, but they started screaming again.  We left the water and chased them down.  Son made a great shot, drilled her and she dropped.  

Crazy packout.  We drug her to the highway, which wasn’t too far, then hiked back to the 4 wheeler and then drove back to the truck.  We drove the truck up to the highway and then loaded her up, traffic and all.

headed back to the ada camp for a steak dinner.

142D7703-BBE2-4B1C-9CFD-C3C6CAA07878.jpeg

• Like 17

I had a good laugh at 5 ft above from 60 yards.  Some major excitement going on there!!  Thats what its about though.  Congrats on your son sealing the deal

• Like 3

Ok, so I showed my buddy the video of my sons miss.  He noticed something i didn’t.  When my son knelt to shoot, the bullet hit a log right in front of him.  He could see the elk through the scope, but didn’t allow for the log.  Thus the miss.

glad he isn’t that bad of a shot!!

• Like 3

On 10/17/2019 at 7:55 PM, bojangles said:

Ok, so I showed my buddy the video of my sons miss.  He noticed something i didn’t.  When my son knelt to shoot, the bullet hit a log right in front of him.  He could see the elk through the scope, but didn’t allow for the log.  Thus the miss.

glad he isn’t that bad of a shot!!

Happens to the best of us... and I know plenty of adults who still forget about mechanical offset / height over bore. Glad he still tagged out! 

• Like 1