Those percentages seem lower than the ones that Arizona Game and Fish put on their site from last year. Maybe I’m just looking at it wrong. Good chance of that! Ha ha. 
33 is definitely an appealing unit to me but I might would put in for 21 or 22 as well, 

Down East – What a great thread. I really enjoy the thoughtful info and direction that can come from this community. It really is impressive (that there's not even trolling about power lines). It’s not often that I feel that I have anything meaningful to contribute to these sorts of threads, but here goes. Here are a few facts and opinions.

-Unit 33 is one of the best units in Arizona for coues deer.

-Because you mentioned staying in the backcountry for multiple days I wanted to remind you that you will likely NOT encounter a water source for filtering drinking water. Sorry if this is obvious, but I only mention it because you're out of state.

-Hunting in the Prison Camp area is great, but keep in mind that weekends vs weekdays are drastically different on the amount of non-hunter recreation going on anywhere off of Catalina Highway.

-With late or later hunts, beware of road closures. Catalina Highway specifically will get shut down with snow or even heavy rains/monsoons.

-Buy a lion tag

-Come here to scout. If you archery hunt, then reconsider the August OTC season. 

Good luck with the draw & happy hunting!

-Patrick

U.T.A.H.camp - Unit Ten/Thirty-Three Arizona Hunt CAMP

45 minutes ago, Down East said:

Those percentages seem lower than the ones that Arizona Game and Fish put on their site from last year. Maybe I’m just looking at it wrong. Good chance of that! Ha ha. 
33 is definitely an appealing unit to me but I might would put in for 21 or 22 as well, 

The ones they post are just tags vs applicants.  Doesn’t take into account that only a percentage go to Non resident nor the fact that a percentage go to guys with most points, or the fact that if guys have points their names are in there multiple times.  If I were you I’d get a subscription to one of the services that do odds.  Then back figure where you’re gonna hunt.  You’ll find the mid hunts in the further south units will be easiest and it’ll get harder on first hunts or December hunts and harder the further north you go (more or less).  21 and 22 are gonna be a little harder to draw as they’re fewer tags and seasons then 33 and they’re popular units.   Unless you pick a border unit mid hunt, or a unit with some access issues, you’ll be looking at sub 50% chance to draw with no points.   Might be an outlier you could dig up and then research that unit, plan the trip and go.  It sounds like you’re planning on working for it and have a good plan in mind so I’m sure you’ll get into deer.  

Thanks man for the pointers. They are all helpful one way or another. If I draw a hunt I would stay the whole hunt. Maybe break the week up into 2 trips in 2 different locations within the same unit or something like that. Thanks again!!

Yotebuster,

Thanks for explaining that for me. Makes perfect sense. 
I’ve ruled out border units I believe. Just don’t think they would be the best for me. For some guys I’m sure they are great. 
I have definitely considered a subscription to the Go Hunt planner. I’m sure there is a ton of info on there that would greatly streamline my hunt and the hunt planning process. 
On the bright side if I put in and don’t get drawn this year atleast I get a point for next year. We’ll see how it goes. I’ve always considered myself a very fortunate person anyway so maybe I’ll luck up and get drawn. 
Thanks buddy!!

• Like 1

Here’s another ignorant question from the guy who has never laid eyes on the terrain  in the AZ Coues country. 
I stare at google earth for hours trying to read and understand what I see based on the satellite images on my computer. However most often the satellite images done tell the whole story based on past experience. 
I’m assuming most, if not all, of the area in 33 that I am looking at could hold deer but I am really struggling to identify promising looking areas that set themselves apart from the rest of the terrain.

My question is....I think I have a good feel of elevations based on vegetation densities but I’m curious to know if you guys have areas that traditionally produce deer sightings or do you just have excellent spots that are just really good vantage points where you can cover a lot of ground from a precise location? 
I’m definitely not wanting anyone to spoil my DIY hunt by giving me coordinates so this is just a general question. 
Thanks!!

Frankly, anywhere in 33 will hold coues. They are hard to find, so don't be afraid to glass and re-glass the same areas multiple times. You'll be surprised how deer seem to pop outta nowhere. 

• Like 1

I kinda figured that I could throw a dart at the unit and possibly be close to a decent area but not being able to put boots on the ground before the hunt starts is my main hurdle. I’m up for the challenge I think of finding good vantage points and then finding a buck during the hunt but I can definitely tell that I may potentially burn a lot of time scouting for just a decent, somewhat remote glassing location. I’m somewhat of a “I wonder what’s over the next ridge” kinda person so I’ll try to keep that mentality in check if I do run across a good glassing point. By hunting the entire hunt time period I feel as though I will be able to hunt more methodically instead of being in a 3 or 4 day panic. 
Maybe I’m biting off more than I can chew with this adventure but I’m always up for a good learning experience. If nothing else I’ll confirm how well or poorly I judged my pre conceived notions. 
Thanks again for everyone’s knowledge and advice. Now I just have to hope I get a tag!!

If you have the entire hunt then use the first couple days as your hunting/ scouting days ( in other words don't over stress it)  and then dial it in as the hunt unfolds. No better information than current.  

• Like 1

It'll take a couple of days for you to get used to the physical demands of the terrain especially your legs. Also you have to understand that you will be in a very dry climate where the humidity in the summer can get to single digits in mid afternoon. In the fall unless there is rain the humidity is usually 35% or so in the morning and can be half that by mid afternoon.

Yeah I understand the physical demands but I think I am mostly prepared for that. The lack of humidity is obviously way way different than here in N.C. I’m planning to take a gallon of water per day (temperature pending). Would you guess that’s about the right amount?

• Like 1