Stray Horse

What rifle are you taking on your elk hunt?

Lark,

Hunting with a 7-08 will definitely be a challenge. I say grab one and see if you can sneak close enough to put the end of the barrrel right behind the ear- ie point blank range.

I don't know about even a 270. It was widely reported on another Internet hunting forum that bullets from a 270 bounced off a deer. But these were really tough Texas deer, so you might be OK on the regular bigger deer called wapiti. ;)

RR

I, too, have no faith in the -08's...... :rolleyes: The .308 is a good cal...... but the .30 cal. bullet is what gets it done in that round... IMO. I never shoot my .308 any more cuz it kicks as hard as my bigger .300 wby mags. but it is still a good elk round. I'd much rather have a kid or a woman shooting a .270 than any -08..... the .270 is much more suitable for that all purpose gun. Personally.... I would Never own a 7mm-08..... I won one at a banquet and it was gone as soon as I found a guy that had a want for one.... never even took it out of the box!

And of course... you will always see a .300 Wby Mag on my elk hunts!!!!! ;) :P

CnS

Gino-

The 7mm-08's that the girls shoot sure pummel everthing it hits. ;)

IMG_4229.jpg

Ruger M77 MKII .338 Win Mag, HS Precision stock, Leupold 2.5X8-36MM, Vero Vellini sling, 250 grain Nosler Partitions over IMR 4350.

IMG_4229.jpg

Ruger M77 MKII .338 Win Mag, HS Precision stock, Leupold 2.5X8-36MM, Vero Vellini sling, 250 grain Nosler Partitions over IMR 4350.

Fantastic elk rig there sir!

Lark,

Hunting with a 7-08 will definitely be a challenge. I say grab one and see if you can sneak close enough to put the end of the barrrel right behind the ear- ie point blank range.

I don't know about even a 270. It was widely reported on another Internet hunting forum that bullets from a 270 bounced off a deer. But these were really tough Texas deer, so you might be OK on the regular bigger deer called wapiti. ;)

RR

LMAO!

Rifles inc. Model 700 .300 weatherby .

Well, I just bought an over the counter any elk tag, so it looks like "Headshot" (270 WSM) is going elk hunting this weekend :D

Man, is it gonna be hot!

I'm going to take a couple of Ruger No. 1-A's: a .338-06 and a 9.3x74R. Really want to blood the 9.x74R--I've had it over a year and haven't had a chance to kill anything with it!

For the bull elk hunt, either one of these 300 WSMs. Kimber in French walnut and Conquest 3.5-10x44, or the HS Precision w/ Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x50. I am in the process of developing a load with the 180 Nosler E-Tip for each (although they already have loads with the 180 Accubonds and Sciroccos)

Kimber300WSM002-1.jpg

rifles001.jpg

Doug~RR

I own a lot of rifles, including calibers that are better suited for either Coues deer or elk, but the last few years whenever I'm going hunting somewhere I reach for the Czech-built Mauser 7 mm Remington Magnum I stocked myself from a piece of walnut we cut in Texas. It's taken maybe 50 or 60 head of game with 175-grain Nosler Partition handloads. The scope is an old Leupold Compact 3-9X with DuPlex wires.

Bill Quimby