Stray Horse

What rifle are you taking on your elk hunt?

post-2129-1210189982_thumb.jpgpost-2129-1210190005_thumb.jpg

Weatherby Accumark in 30-378 WBY Magnum.

Leupold VX-3 6.5 x 20 EFR

Harris Bi-Pod

Buttler Creek sling

I'm ready for my elk hunt! I'll be using a:

Hoyt Katera XL 32"/70lb draw

32" Easton Axis FMJ's tipped w/ Slick Trick Magnums

ripcord rest and Spot Hogg sight

Oh, you said rifle! ;)

If I wasn't chasing a bulls this year with a stick and string, I'd be trying hard to decide between two rifles.

First is a trued up Rem 700 w/ a #4 contour Schneider covered in graphite cerakote chambered in .340 Weatherby magnum stocked in a McMillan Hunter stock.

Second would be a MRC 1999 w/ a #2 contour MRC barrel chambered in .300 WSM stocked in a Bansner shooting 180 grain partitions scoped w/ a Leupold mark4 3-10x40.

All depends on the terrain and anticipated shot distance as the .300 is a considerably lighter package. I received the Weatherby in a trade and haven't even pulled the trigger on it.

I've got all the components, i just need to dig up some dies and find a reason to punish my shoulder. However, my experience with my .338 Win (now gone) was that the big bullets punish the elk as well.

Good luck to all on your upcoming hunts!

Schmitty

I'm ready for my elk hunt! I'll be using a:

Hoyt Katera XL 32"/70lb draw

32" Easton Axis FMJ's tipped w/ Slick Trick Magnums

ripcord rest and Spot Hogg sight

:blink: Hope you appreciate that draw length there monkey arms! Wish i had a 32" draw. Oh the KE i could get... (drools on keyboard) How do you like those Tricks?

And I'll be using my 300 Ultra with a Leupold 4.5-14x56mm scope and probably 180 grain Sciroccos. I'll post some pics when i get a chance.

my unethical .270. Lark.

Unethical my butt....Aint that thing like a third arm to you?

my unethical .270. Lark.

Unethical my a$$....Aint that thing like a third arm to you?

Point 270 is the IQ

and he admitted it the other day

when he said he bought his perfect wife

a pair of shoes :huh:

T.Ruble :ph34r:

you guys can all got to apache junction (worse than heck). my kid is tryin' real hard to get me to pack his christensen .300 ultra. as lazy as i am anymore, i might do it. i can just shoot one a mile or so away and send my boys to fetch it. he killed a 6 by with it last year at 804 yards. heck, if he can do that, i ought be able to shoot one a mile or more away. but then i'd be leavin' my superior huntin' skills at the house and just be a loser like the rest o' you dudes. i'm in a real quandry. oh woe is me, i have a bull elk tag and have too many options. maybe i'll just hunt with a knife. or worse yet even, a 7mm/08. Lark.