Stray Horse

What rifle are you taking on your elk hunt?

Lark,

Hunting with a 7-08 will definitely be a challenge. I say grab one and see if you can sneak close enough to put the end of the barrrel right behind the ear- ie point blank range.

I don't know about even a 270. It was widely reported on another Internet hunting forum that bullets from a 270 bounced off a deer. But these were really tough Texas deer, so you might be OK on the regular bigger deer called wapiti. ;)

RR

I will be taking my 7mm Rem Ultra Mag this year. I shot a bull a few years back with it. Did a very nice job. Kicks a bit too much for my wife to shoot but a great round with some great energy.

Not you too Doug <_<

The Girls have taken 2 Elk,

Whitetail and Antelope at over 300 yds

and Javelina. with their 7MM-08

I am not saying it the best choice for Elk,

I would be taking my 7MM Rem. Mag.

But it a great round for youth and Women.

Linnea did take her last 2 Bulls with my 7 Mag

Mike,

Note the use of the wink at the end. I was just throwing some good-spirited kindling on the fire to follow Lark's post.

Doug~RR

Mike,

Note the use of the wink at the end. I was just throwing some good-spirited kindling on the fire to follow Lark's post.

Doug~RR

I know, Geeze :rolleyes:

A guy takes a opportunity to

pass along the greatest medium caliber

for a young hunter and everyone gets

all serious one me :(

Besides, I'm still a proud dad. (opportunity) ;)

Shut-Up Casey

L__s_Antelope004.BMP

This got me to thinking about a 270-08. There is the 308, 7-08, 6.5-08 aka 260, and 25souper 25-08, and 243 but one generally hears little about a 270-08. Guess there is the 270 Redding, a 270-08 with a 30*shoulder, and the 270-08AI with 40* shoulder.

Doug, as you know the 308 was the main stay for long range shooting for ever.

Now neck that down to one of the best bullets- 7MM

and you have one of the finest rounds with minimal kick.

GREAT round for smaller framed people. IMO

?????????

did not mean to hijack the thread

This Kimber chambered in a short-fatty will hopefully make the journey to the promised land of Unit 9 in November.

Kimber300WSM002.jpg

:o How did you melt all the snow you got last night :unsure:

Lark,

Hunting with a 7-08 will definitely be a challenge. I say grab one and see if you can sneak close enough to put the end of the barrrel right behind the ear- ie point blank range.

I don't know about even a 270. It was widely reported on another Internet hunting forum that bullets from a 270 bounced off a deer. But these were really tough Texas deer, so you might be OK on the regular bigger deer called wapiti. ;)

RR

I, too, have no faith in the -08's...... :rolleyes: The .308 is a good cal...... but the .30 cal. bullet is what gets it done in that round... IMO. I never shoot my .308 any more cuz it kicks as hard as my bigger .300 wby mags. but it is still a good elk round. I'd much rather have a kid or a woman shooting a .270 than any -08..... the .270 is much more suitable for that all purpose gun. Personally.... I would Never own a 7mm-08..... I won one at a banquet and it was gone as soon as I found a guy that had a want for one.... never even took it out of the box!

And of course... you will always see a .300 Wby Mag on my elk hunts!!!!! ;) :P

CnS

Late bull unit 1

M77 SS .338 with a Laminate stock Nikon on top

or 3600 .30-.06 with a Bushnell on top

Off topic: Lark/.270 did you happen to live in Springerville?