Roboz

Success

Met my son Thursday morning around 10 to start our Javelina hunt, my 4th hunt for them and his first time. We set up camp and managed to squeeze in an afternoon glassing session but didn't turn anything up. Friday we spent the whole day glassing and moving locations from higher to lower elevations, finally turning a few up late in the afternoon within stocking distance, we got in front of where we thought they were headed and sure enough 3 of them come by us at 35 yards, i range it for my son and tell him to take him if he can he draws back and releases missing to the left, they take off but not in a big hurry so we watch them move off into a different valley as the sun is starting to set. We decide to leave them alone and go back in the morning to see if they are out feeding in the sunshine, sure enough Saturday morning i glass up not 3 but 9 of them out feeding, we make a plan to get on the ridge above them and drop over the top. It worked perfectly as the wind was in our favor and they had no idea we were there, the first one comes walking by and my son puts an arrow through it at probably 16-18 yards, i sneak about 20 yards farther down the hill and peek over to see the rest of the herd standing at 20-30 yards, i pick out one broadside at 22 yards and put an arrow through both shoulders. We found my son's right away but could not find my arrow or any blood, after about a 30 minute search my son yells out "i know why we cant find your arrow....its still stuck in him" he was laying probably 10 feet from my sons javelina in the brush. It was an awesome hunt and no one i would rather do it with than my son.

Thanks jim for giving me a few places to try, although we didn't make it to any of his recommended spots its nice to know people are willing to help others out.

1-2 (2).jpg

• Like 14

Great story,thanks for taking the time to post.

• Like 1

Congratulations, I am just glad to see a father son team have a great hunt. I was able to watch my 15 year old grandson (on his birthday) tag his first archery Javelina on Saturday. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jim said:

Congratulations, I am just glad to see a father son team have a great hunt. I was able to watch my 15 year old grandson (on his birthday) tag his first archery Javelina on Saturday. 

Thats awesome jim, my birthday was Friday so i was hoping to get a birthday pig but i had to wait until Saturday.

Thats awesome, Im heading down there in a few weeks for the HAM hunt... Did you see many? we hunted it last year and did not see a lot, I think 9 in 5 days...

Congrats!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tikka said:

Thats awesome, Im heading down there in a few weeks for the HAM hunt... Did you see many? we hunted it last year and did not see a lot, I think 9 in 5 days...

Congrats!

We didn't see very many, this group was all we saw in 3 days.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AZbowhntr said:

They sure are fun to spot and stalk.  Congrats and good job.

Yes they are this is my 4th hunt for them going 3 out of 4, i have shot one using a call and as much fun as that was i still prefer spot and stalk.