Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Having a Blast with the Past

Several years ago a friend asked me to disperse most of his late father's estate.

The old timer must have been a colorful character. He lived a minimalist life style even though he had retired from Ratheon with a good nest egg and pension. But he had simple needs and lived on a small farm in Cochise with his horses and dogs.

Spent his golden years packing into unit 33 mostly and hunted as much as possible. He built a small shop on his acreage and lived in a kit garage with dirt floors. 

When the prostate cancer weakened him to exhaustion, he settled into assisted living and therefore was not home when his property flooded. The moisture had ruined a lot of his possesions when I started to gather them and some items were just tossed.

But there were a few items I put into a drawer for another day.16236.thumb.jpeg.d94209b10f3c306bf634ded123a73019.jpeg

SCIENCE!!!

Yesterday I started the restoration of these items. All with moving parts were so badly rusted, they no longer had moving parts. Time to experiment with electrolysis.

0123201320.thumb.jpg.12c0df325a0ef76be45081e23394902a.jpg

5 gallon bucket of water with approx 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon water for electrolytes. I hung the items needing cleaned from a piece of sucker rod I could ground from the old battery charger. I would set the charger to 6V, 3 amps.

The anodes were a couple of iron grading stakes I had laying around. I connected them together with jumper cables but it didn't seem to matter having 2 anodes since all the oxidation migrated to the one anode even though my volt meter indicated voltage at both. 

Put the rusty items through the electrolysis overnight and got up to this view.0124200839.thumb.jpg.e25045ecba8de48b921f26c0ea416206.jpg

Its important to do this outside, as the process creates hydrogen since you're separating H2O. Additionally, using salt for the electrolytes makes for chlorine gas.

0123201311.thumb.jpg.d465ba5ebbb5b3300e5a08d225e10e2f.jpg

After 18 hours, here's the result...0124200905.thumb.jpg.e435a73669375234dd7409814fb3c400.jpg

I was thrilled to see this antique actually operate again. The breech opens, ejector, hammer, trigger all moving again. She's going back in for more electrolysis. The right side of the pistol was facing the anode so it came out cleanest, so I turned the gun around 180' to work more on the left side.

In case you're wondering, it's an Iver Johnson, 5 shot Top Break Safety .32 S&W short. Same model used to assassinate Pres. McKinley 119 years ago.

• Like 8
  • Wow! 2

Looks like and old leather punch, a slide caliper, a hatchet, and two pistols. The bottom one kinda looks like a Colt auto, but couldn't make out a horse on the grips.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

That’s pretty cool.  What’s that other little pistol?

It's an HR Self Loader .25

There were 3 generations made. Pretty sure they stopped production on this one, 1918.

I'm hoping the action works again this afternoon. Great Wall hangers.

• Like 1

Where did this guy live Tim? I’ve always used EvapoRusr, does the same thing without the hassle. I’ve used the same gallon for about 5 years. Soak you stuff, and strain the solution back into the container for the next project. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Where did this guy live Tim? I’ve always used EvapoRusr, does the same thing without the hassle. I’ve used the same gallon for about 5 years. Soak you stuff, and strain the solution back into the container for the next project. 

It's not a hassle, he lived near Cochise.

Besides, this is a precursor to an upcoming project turning sterling to pure silver using a similar method.

24 minutes ago, muleybowhunter said:

awesome, picked up a old sears and roebuck 12ga from the father in law that is in rough shape. im gonna try the evaporust to see if i can clean it up.

Yeah there's an application I have in mind also for that, we'll see.

• Like 1

0125201254.thumb.jpg.77f6d5cea6bd9fce4962a961f398cbcc.jpg

8 hours ago, G_E_E said:

That's really cool, hope you keep us updated on your restoration progress.

1280px-Hammer_the_Hammer_Iver_Johnson_Revolvers.thumb.jpg.688a68ac42bfdde69bcec778c88f0e43.jpg

It's ready for the wall. With the thorough cleaning, I was able to read the serial #s for the first time. Turns out it's chambered for .38 S&W. Was black powder built between 1909-1941. Has low, low serial numbers so probably manufactured about the time AZ gained statehood.

Next I'll turn my attention back to the .25 H&R...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

I have the twin to that pistol without the rust. Belonged to my grandad. 

What direction is the owl looking?

14 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Not sure. It's packed it away right now, but if I get a chance in the next couple days, I'll check. 

Yeah and see if the break strap attachment has 1 or 2 posts